Sunday Social Rides May/June/July

Tony

the intermediates done a great job last year when they were out just the same as the 30 milers everyone pitched in with routes my point is i dont think it should be up to another bunch to decide if the the 30 milers are binned they have always encouraged people to move up a group when their fitness improves some people have time issues and cant do a 4hr run so the 30 milers was ideal the club is too big just for 2 groups so i for 1 will be posting in a couple of weeks for a 30 miler run

greig :icon_yes

chung im not only on about myself im thinking of any new riders 40 miles would be too much for some and we dont want to discourage new members from what ive been told the 30 milers have been around for years the intermediates is a great bunch created by tony last year but would they be willing to wait at the top of any long hills for 10 mins each time for a newbie i doubt it i say keep the bunches the same but if the club decide thats the way forward i will go along with it no arguments Hello, beer !!

Greg,

If you want to maintain, organise and run the 30 miler bunch then go for it. Completely agree that there is a need for a 30 miler group. It is the ideal environment for newbies and returnees. I would add, however, you would need to expect and accept a reasonable turn over of people as they improve and ultimately move on.

That said, the 30 milers are most likely the first group that new members will encounter and you'll have to be on your best behaviour. To pick up on earlier comments, there is no reason why the 30 milers cannot piggy back onto the social rides offering bale out options or meeting at cafe stops for a joint roll home. Alternatively, you are more than welcome to join the shaven leg skinnies in the main bunch aka the "well oiled machine" for a moan, hissy fit and general organised chaos. :icon_mooning

M

thanks guys thats what ive been trying to say all along pmsl my other suggestion would be why dont the social bunch move up to the main group instead of slowing down to our pace lol

mark we have all encouraged fitter riders to move onto the other groups for a better workout even my mrs will be moving on to the social bunch, the main aim is to enjoy the ride and company your out with

greig Hello, beer !!

ps rant over

• Life Members

Hi Greig,

I think you under estimate a lot of the new folks that come to these club runs, they may be new to the club but certainly not new in terms of cycling. Most who decide to come along have already been out on the bikes for a while on their own. So he/she would have the basic fitness to ride these distance.

The club runs are meant to let people experience the joy of cycling in a bunch & at the same time learn the basic technique & etiquette of bunch riding.

You'll also find that all club runs (different groups) always regroup at top of climbs. I think you might find that not a lot of hills around this neck of the woods would require you to wait 10 minutes for the slowest rider(s) in a bunch! Maybe the Crow Road?

As i mentioned in other post before, back in the days when I first joined the club there was only ONE group that catered for everyone, old & young members, existing & new comers & even racers (who was just out to have a relax ride) all learned & encouraged each other. In my experience of these ride, I would say it worked really well.

P.S I am not making decisions here, merely just stating a few points & facts.

What you want to do is up to you, but I just think people will be missing a lot.

Cheers

Chung

Greig,

You are correct, the 30 mile group should continue in it's present format. It worked well previously and over the winter. I'm one of the intermediates that on occasion doesn't have time to do a 50+ run on a Sunday, and would join the 30 mile group so that I'm home a little earlier.

Ken

Guest EPCC

Reform its happening everywhere just place on simmer stand back and wait and see what happens

The problem is everybody has good points to make maybe compromise is the way forward but I will not get involved as I ride with the anti social bunch

Enjoy the debate

I have not seen any 30-miler runs being posted for some time. Presumably that is because Greig has been busy. There was also a gap in the intermediate runs in April for the same reason (I had other things on). This is the biggest problem in trying to organise club runs - the onus tends to fall on one person to keep it going. That is why I had hoped we could have a single group with a number of people getting involved and keeping it going. I am not sure why anyone would think I was trying to "bin" the 30-milers.

Another point (which we talked about at the meeting) was that you can easily have a bailout option in a 40-50 mile run so that people who have less time can do 30 or so miles instead. When I post a run, I am happy to take the time to arrange this by studying the map and pointing out the shorter route to anyone who thinks they might be short of time. On the 1st April we had a "30-miler/intermediate" run which was about 45 miles and we had a designated bailout point like this, for anyone who wanted to do the 30-mile thing. (A few people said they might take the shorter route, but in the event none did.)

Greig, I am disappointed you couldn't make it along to the meeting a week past Thursday, we could have sat down and talked about all this and it would have been so much easier :-(

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry but my heart isn't in this any longer - too much else on the go at the moment. Back to early-morning solo rides for a while I think.

I'm done tilting at windmills - if anyone else wants to borrow my lance, feel free 8-)

Tone Quixote