MArk Young

Stevie Blom

Ok Here we go again........

I posted a while ago if anyone would be interested in a king test ???

But since Mark is top coach would anyone be interested in Marks previous request that he comes down the club house for a few hours for free.

So is anyone interested to what Mark has to say as i would be gratefull for his

time!

Also the king test could make his efforts worth while too....

So lets get it started who is up for this??

Mark maybe you could help me out here and kind of explain to others who might be interested exaclty what you would be doing?

Stevie Blom

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For all your computer needs, spares & repairs - PC Express, Love Street, Paisley   0141-561-0323

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stevie,Mark has agreed to come down to clubrooms to give a presentation on the 17th of January.As of now he has not indicated that he will do any tests but Im sure if he gets enough interest on that night then Im sure he would be glad to do so.What we need to do is drum up as much interest as we can to make this a succesful trip for Mark and that as many members as possible benefit from Mark's words of wisdom.There is no charge involved here folks so come on raise a hand to let us know who will be attending.

For all your computer needs, spares & repairs - PC Express, Love Street, Paisley   0141-561-0323

Ok Here we go again........

I posted a while ago if anyone would be interested in a king test ???

But since Mark is top coach would anyone be interested in Marks previous request that he comes down the club house for a few hours for free.

So is anyone interested to what Mark has to say as i would be gratefull for his

time!

Also the king test could make his efforts worth while too....

So lets get it started who is up for this??

Mark maybe you could help me out here and kind of explain to others who might be interested exaclty what you would be doing?

Stevie Blom

Stevie,

I will explain the purpose of my talk. No toe treading :smash , no beatings :lol: , no telling you all what to do, :uzi just a powerpoint presentation about the relative merits of working with a coach and how it is all done!

There are dedicated coaches at all levels out there in Scottish Cycling and unfortunately we dont really get enough positive press about what a coach can do to help an athlete.

A Business adviser of mine told me A.I.D.A. was needed so that better working relationships between coaches and athletes could be formed.

(Awareness, Interest, Desire, Action BTW)

Onto the tests.

There are many forms of perfomance tests which coaches use. Some of the more popular protocols are Aerobic Maximal in nature. For example a ramp test, which adds x watts per minute until the subject cannot carry on. This test helps to establish baseline fitness but as with an M.O.T for your car is only indicative on the condition of the subject on the day it was taken.

Power meters are the way forward due to the daily data which makes ascertaining fitness levels much more tangible.

I am more than happy to administer a Maximal Aerobic Ramp test (which many call a kingcycle) en-masse as before but again i must warn that this test should be taken more than just once a year for any progress in fitness to be shown.

I hope that has answered your post? If not I can clarify any points if you wish.

• Members

Hi Guys & Gals

I suggest as many folk as possible turn up to see & hear Marks presentation. Mark is Scotlands most enthuisiastic and motivated coach, who spends his life communicating with the worlds top coaches. Come along listen and even if you only leave with one small piece of information it will be worthwile. I will be in attendance to try and squeeze a few pearls of wisdom from Mark , so be like me and come prepared to ask specific questions ( generic of course).

I can garuantee a good night where Mark will do his best to answer all questions.

Remember - the day you stop learning new things is the day you die ;-)

I have been fortunate enough to see Marks powerpoint presentation (I think Kat has been Involved as well), Mark has put together a great night which other clubs have benefitted from already. And remember its FREE (some of the other Top Coaches sell tickets for there knowledge).

As far as the tests go, I am now tested every 6-8 weeks (Yes, its Madness i know!!!) Mark likes his torture machine!!, we should all try and be tested 3-4 times a season if possible, It might be an idea to try and book up some more dates throughout the year.

Cheers

Sean.

Aye very good Sean,if you havn't burnt the damn thing out before we get a chance wi' that awesome power of yours!!(jealous).

I have been fortunate enough to see Marks powerpoint presentation (I think Kat has been Involved as well), Mark has put together a great night which other clubs have benefitted from already. And remember its FREE (some of the other Top Coaches sell tickets for there knowledge).

As far as the tests go, I am now tested every 6-8 weeks (Yes, its Madness i know!!!) Mark likes his torture machine!!, we should all try and be tested 3-4 times a season if possible, It might be an idea to try and book up some more dates throughout the year.

Cheers

Sean.

Sean is correct when he said Kat was involved in the last presentation I gave. St. Mungos Academy was where I gave the Glasgow Wheelers a chance to see what a coach like myself actually does. 23 turned up so lets hope we can match that.

When Sean talks about his tests the following should be noted. I gave him a maximal test at my house in the Shed of Dread. This was supposed to have been at the start of the base period but Sean hadnt decided on his racing peaks at that point. So after around 6 weeks of preparatory training I brought the Mountain to Muhammed and did another maximal test to give the baseline we needed. Every training cycle (4 weeks for Sean) he is asked to do a field test. Sean is very soon to have a power meter, so the test can be validated and extremely accurate without having to attend a lab (or go back to the Shed!!) This lets us see his power curve which is used to plot progress. Just outn of interest, the first adn second max tests were virtually the same for HR and power, except his body weight had dropped 7kg over the prep weeks.

Many of you can do a similar thing even without a power meter. Use the turbo and do a short sub max test. If you need pointers just ask and I can post a few suggestions.

Dougie, the machine will break him first!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder to let you all know that Mark will be at the clubrooms on Monday 17th Jan, please make an effort to be there as this is a valuable lesson in cycling for all levels.

Cheers

Sean.

Folks ,

I am working tomorrow night till about 7pm so might be down for 8ish?

NO matter when i stop i will call off at the clubhouse anyway to atleast try and be there.

Stevie B.

What time will Mark be at the clubrooms ?

Harry Blane

• Members

Harry

now you are a champion !!!

coaching is secondary , but I will see you at clubrooms at 7:00pm

I will be at clubroom for the 7pm start.

Hope to see a good turn out

Mark ,

Sorry i could not be at the meeting last night!

due to my worlk situation i did not get finished untill 8pm.

i then needed a lift back home due to the snowbound situation.

however im sure other members who attended can fill me in?

This morning was a good laugh going into work much easier than last night :oops:

Stevie B.

Thank you to all who attended.

I hope everyone was able to take something away from the event. I know I learned more about athletes and perceptions.

Sorry that some missed it but Im sure those who did will fill you in with details.

Kind Regards

Mark

Really wanted to attend this but My cousin was taken into hospital and I went to see how she was.

Appologies for not showing up.

A big thanks to Mark for making the journey through from the Far East to the glorious west in terrible driving conditions to spread his wealth of knowlewdge to the other brave souls who attended.Avery professional presentation was given and any questions answered and a couple of surprise ones that Mark will endevour to answer once he speaks to some others.To those who were not there I dont know where to begin as some of the info was a bit too technical to start going into but enough to say that we could all do with a bit of advice on our training from someone like this.Bottom line-if you want to improve your fitness you must be willing to change and have the drive to do so,you must get your diet in check,and training aint gonna be easy,get stuck in.Anyone who has any questions please dont be shy and ask them on this forum as Im sure Mark will be only too happy to answer them and to open up some discussion and debate.