Training sucks

Guest EPCC

You would think that after a further 4 weeks training of 5 sessions a week when you re tested you would have some improvement well not me exactly the same as last test

When I think of the effort the pain and the sweat is it worth it ? I think I should just go back to eating all the pies and not bothering about training but the thought of looking at everybody's backs when racing makes me think at least the numbers aren't any worse than before

Happy Turboing

By the way my numbers will not trouble Lance so no TDF for me yet

• 2023 Subscriptions

Perhaps you are like Cavendish............ short and fat!

His numbers were expletive deleted as well but he was too bloody minded and ignored everyone saying he would never make it.

You should try my approach 1/2 the number of sessions alternated with wine = 20 W improvement.

Tom

A weighty issue indeed, William; a weighty issue.

Wouldn't worry about it Billy its only numbers and unless you have the exact same conditions, including how you are feeling physically and mentally I doubt you would see a great deal of difference. If you are the least bit tired you won't get the exact same performance thus your numbers will be different or in your case the same. Perhaps you're overtraining and not allowing your body to fully recover before testing.

I'd judge it on how you feel on the road and your perceived effort, that's were it counts. If sitting at 20+mph is easier than 4 weeks ago then improvement made in my book.

M

Where do I begin......................

It's the first week in January. Unless you are peaking for the kilo at the World Cup this weekend, don't worry about it.

I could think of 30 parameters that could easily differ from one test to another.

There are many other ways of monitoring progress; resting heart rate, weight, endurance, VO2, power output and the most old fashioned of all - a time trial!

Go back to basics - what are you trying to achieve? Better climbing, sprinting, endurance, lung capacity, short, middle or long distance TTs? Are you monitoring your personal training with a test that was generalised for 1,000 people?

Try this and you won't be too far out.......

January - just get out as much as the weather allows

February - go a bit longer

March - go a bit faster

April - go shorter, but faster again with the odd longer run

May - race time!

Use a turbo to refine your race position. Ride your winter bike with the bars higher and the saddle slightly lower. Stretch a lot. Eat a healthy balanced diet. Forget gimmicks.

Howzat?