THE SCOTTISH BIKE SHOW SPORTIVE

This is an event taking place on 15th April 2012 in the Trossach's. 2 options 64 or 100 miles. Entries are now open and a small discount is being offered for teams of 6. David and Carol Cowan and myself are intending to enter any one else wanting to play? More details can be found @ thescottishbikeshow.com website. K x ;-)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Life Members

Hi Kay & everyone else,

Myself & Campbell have entered the 100 mile route, is anyone else doing this as well.

It would be great to get a Joansin bunch going even thought it may only be to Aberfoyle when the route splits.

Cheers

Chung

• Life Members

Hi Kay & Everyone,

Don't worry, I'll be looking to just get around too. Not too bother about time, lets just see on the day then!

I'm not sure where's the best place to meet, but I'll be looking out for so Blue & Yellow wheels to follow. :grin:

See you all on the day..... weather looking ok!

Cheers

Chung

A very enjoyable day, despite some hellish main road sections and cruelly placed hills when we were tiring at the end. We could not have had better weather for the event! Began the 100 miler in a JWCC trio (Kay, Mary, Matt) and saw Chung (Campbell H) and Alan C, as well as a couple of other JWCC supporters along the way. Many thanks to Iain Cowden for meeting up with us on the latter part of the route and helping our group come in to land. Legs a bit tired now - enjoyed the challenge though and the company along the way. What's next Kay?!

Mary

p.s. Anyone lucky enough to get a goody bag might want to tell us what we missed! It's  Bugs Bunny !

• Life Members

Well Done to every one that participate in the Sportive, be it 65 or 100 miles!

Even the 65 mile route had some challenging climbs around Loch Kartrine and especially The Dukes Pass before that.

It was an early start for all with official starting time of 7.30am for some really early birds. But we (myself, Campbell & Ronnie) started a bit later just before 8am. The weather was sunny but really cold, however it got better & warmed up as soon as we started moving.

It was going to be a long day and trying to find a good group to ride along was our plan as you would do with these sportives.

We meet the trio of Mary, Kay & Matt just heading up the Pike Track climb at Dryman, this was where the small group we were in split apart. So Campbell & myself rode on past the first feed stop at Aberfolye then up Dukes Pass in glorious sunshine.....magic!

The course split when we got to just outside Loch Katrine where the 65 mile route would turn left for the loop round, we headed right towards Callander direction. At this point there was just me & Campbell with Ronnie long way up front already, but help was at hand. We spotted a large group of Lomond Road, at least 18 of them standing at the split road junction waiting for their remaining clubmates who were still coming down from the Dukes Pass. So, we just head along knowing there will be a big group coming up and all we had to do was just tag along at a good pace without doing much work. Indeed thats was what happened and along the way we picked up a few more bodies motoring along comfortably at around 30ish km, it was along this point where we bumped into Stevie McF, Mark L, John Mc & Scott who were tackling the 100 mile route too.......... well done chaps! I knew Stevie had plan to do the 65 miles, but he press the wrong button when entering, so ended up dong the 100...... nice one mate!

The big bunch was going along nicely until we got to Glen Ogle where the climb was long but steady, the climbers at the front just opened up a big gap with Campbell amongst the group. Behind was what was a cohesive bunch just totally disintegrated into fragments of Yellow & Blue (the Lomond Road club colour is similar to ours, so I kind of fit in nicely) along the long climb. Between there & Crainlarich was a long decent & steady flat roads. A welcome cafe stop/feed station at Crainlarich was enjoyed after 60 miles, it was here that we meet up with Stevie's group. It was strange cause there must have been at least 3-400 riders on the road & feed stops, but we only saw a few in the Cafe/Pub enjoying some proper food. I suppose everyone was chasing a good time for the ride & the least time spent resting, the better. Not us though!

Starting off again after a stop is alway difficult, but the though that it was only 12 noon & more than half way round the course was encouraging. So we set off at a good pace heading towards Arrochar, we meet Iain Cowden coming the opposite way for the second time on the day who I assume was heading towards Crainlarich to meet up with Mary's group.

No pit stop at Arrochar feed station as we were only another 20 miles to the finish, again we gathered a small group with a few West Lothian Tri riders riding along Loch Long towards Garelochhead with Glen Fruin always lurking in our minds. This is a challenging climb at the best of time, coming after 80 miles makes it even worse. However once that was done it was pretty much down hill all the way back to Balloch Castle. So, coming in around half past two was not too bad considering the official cut off time was 5 o'clock with everyone must start before 8am.

Not sure about a goodie bag, all I got at the finish was a welcome carton of milk. But I have to say, it was a very good sportive experience with well organized feed stops & marshalling. What's more important was that the signage was excellent, knowing me getting lost was a habit of mine, but the course was clearly mark with no danger of me doing a dodgy detour at all. I suppose the weather plays a part in it too as everyone who venture out on the bike yesterday must agree.

It's quite a good course too with some good climbs to stretch your climbing legs and the scenery is glorious too. All in all I would recommend this to anyone if the event is being run as an annual event. In fact I think it could be a good long club run too! :grin:

I'm off now to try and plot a long hilly route for next Sunday to get some more training for Italy in 5 WEEKS time! Oh ya dancer !

Thanks for reading

Cheers

Chung