Brand new cyclist

mydodgyfeet

Hello all,

I am VERY new to cycling (I just bought my first bike last week at the ripe old age of 38) after my shoddy bio-mechanics have made me give the running a break for the time being.

I am keen to use cycling to a) meet people and B) remain fit. I'm a little apprehensive about joining a Sunday 30 miler as I am still a little wobbly and have been sticking to cycle paths. I'm looking to get on one of the NCN routes this weekend to practice looking round, drinking water etc without falling off.

I was looking for some advice on:

a) whether the 30 mile groups be too much and too intimidating for a first-timer? I am moderately fit but nervous.

B) does anyone know of adult cycling groups locally? I'm in Paisley.

Many thanks

Andy

Hi Andy.

Welcome along.

Adult cycling groups you ask??

You've found it! Look no further!! :grin:

Being based in Paisley you're ideally located! The clubroom, and start of the runs, are on Miller St in Johnstone.

If you're fit enough then I wouldn't worry. If you weren't fit enough, I wouldn't worry.

The 30 milers were started to cater for exactly your kind of rider. There may be others who are recovering from injury etc.

No-one gets left behind. Not even the unpopular members!! :grin:

Sounds like you're planning right by practising on cycle paths etc but you have to start in the bunch at sometime so the sooner the better.

There are experienced riders in the group who will guide you and offer advice.

No pressure to take a turn at the front. Just sit at the back and see how things work.

We generally go on quietish roads so that would makes a bit better for you.

We have a mix of all ages.

Have a read of the club runs section to give you an idea of where we go and check the roads on Google maps etc.

Any questions. ...ask away 8-)

PS: you really should get out with the bunch while we have a bit of 'summer'** left

Go on, go on, go on!

**open to interpretation! :-?

Thank you so so much! :grin:

You're probably right on two counts - getting in and amongst it with the Bunch AND doing so while summer is still with us.

I made a boob in my post: when I asked about cycling groups, I meant cycling courses - to help me get less wobbly. I don't fancy going to a cycling proficiency with all the 5 and 6 year olds :lol:

Thanks so much again.

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the wonderful world of cycling.

I seem to be stalking Richies posts today. :lol:

I'll 2nd what he said, get out with the 30 milers to get a taste of group riding.

I'm in Paisley too and might be out tomorrow for a bit, i'm nightshift tonight though so I'll be seeing how I feel in the morning.

MDF, welcome to the Joansin. I've only been riding with this motley bunch since January and been made most welcome. No need to be concerned about being nervous. As you are relatively new to cuuycling then the 30 milers is exactly what your looking for.

It will take a little while to get used to cycling in a group but you'll get the basics fairly quickly. Get along on Sunday introduce yourself to whoever is there and have someone talk you through some bunch rules etc. If you are moderately fit from your running

days you'll do fine.

Mark O