Coaching and all that!

Dougie Da Rosa

I have been doing a bit of thinking recently regarding my approach to training and have been asking various people some questions about their approach to training off season and during the racing season and have found that most folk have a different outlook towards this and yet are at the same time not a million miles away from each others views(if that makes sense!).At the Braveheart dinner on friday I looked around at all the assembled riders and thought these guys must be doing something right(except Al Yeoman who drinks like a fish!!)and must be getting the correct advice from somewhere,and there it was staring me in the face at the next table,Mark Young,cycling coach!.Now up until now we have only used Mark's services for a power test which ,for whatever reasons we never took him up on a back up to that test ,from which we would have gained much more info I am sure .So I think that if we were to post some questions to Mark regarding our training and nutrition on the Bunch,if sufficient folk feel it would help by Mark paying a visit to the clubrooms for an evening we could surely benefit from his experience,at a cost obviously.Am I alone in this way of thinking?,does everyone else have a sufficient enough training plan for the winter and coming season?,if so let me know(or dont) and I may just have to rent the clubrooms myself and get Mark in on a one to one!! :-?8-) By the way,reading a lot about creatine recently,anyone tried this,good,bad,waste of money?,maybe Mark could answer me this as the first of many questions I have?. :roll:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For all your computing needs, new machines, spares & repairs - the Yellow Computer Shop, Love Street, Paisley   0141-561-0323

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Dougie,

As I could tell by the glazed look appearing in your eyes on Friday, you were enjoying the Braveheartcyclingfund Dinner. Thank you for your kind words but I must tell you Graeme Herd and I only provide the tools and plan for the young athletes to perform. They must do the hard work, while we deal with frame work!

That is what I provide to all of my clients. They come to me with a Lego set which has no instructions and I have the master plan(from Lego themselves too :grin: ). I also help them with additions to their model or even sometimes we throw the old one away and go for a new one!! Strange analogy but I think you see my point?!

Onto Creatine Monohydrate.

This product is designed for sprint athletes and doesnt really help endurance athletes. Its all about energy production. Its a substance found in meat and fish but it is also created in the liver, kidneys and pancreas(stored as creatine phosphate in the muscle tissue)

Vegetarians tend to have less due to diet restrictions. Even with normal levels it is not enough to boost performance levels unless you increase the amount available hence the supplemention.

Most scientists believe it only gives you brief gains from things like interval or hill repeat workouts but even so evidence suggests that 20% or more dont experience any physiological effect at all.

Health problems from taking it appear to be only water retention although most studies only cover 10 weeks or so.

My own feelings are that if you were to think of the improvements you can make to your racing performance as 100 pieces(%). Creatine is probably less than 1piece. Every athlete I have worked with gained more from structuring their training in a more dynamic way than looking at very small performance gains from something like Creatine.

For all your computing needs, new machines, spares & repairs - the Yellow Computer Shop, Love Street, Paisley   0141-561-0323

I think your being hard on yourself Dougie. On the Arran trip I saw at first hand your fitness programme. I think you had at least 10pieces for lunch. Maybe Mark can advise for smaller eaters like the rest of us how we can get through 100 !

Scott

PS. What does creatine taste like on a piece anyway? Is that a Johnstone delicacy ?

Hi dougie...like Scott say's"lay off yourself".

i should take on board my own advice as i too pound myself for not being as good as..him or her or look as good as .......can't go as fast as.....my kit's not as good as.......

i say to myself that i should loose weight......why?vanity that's why.

ok,maybe if i lost that stone and trained as hard as i think i should, i have to be honest with myself and ask why?

to be the best, to be the fastest to be, .......perfect!

i try and accept myself for who and what i am(including my shape)and try and enjoy this ole cycling lark along the way.

when i count my blessings,i'm doing ok.

p.s you always manage to rip the legs off me , *$!$$*%

THIS POST IS SHOULD BE SPONSORED BY CADBURY'S I EAT ENOUGH OF THEIR PRODUCTS.

Dougie

Lay off my drinking ya bam.

Not in total agreement with Paulo though. I do agree that we should all try and enjoy life and accept ourselves as who we are. Can't remember the exact words but the saying goes along the lines of:

Help me change the things I can change

Accept the things I can't

and give me the knowledge to know the difference between the two.

What’s wrong with trying to improve yourself, whether its your performance, your shape, the way you look, the kit / clothes you wear, the food you eat, the beer you drink etc etc etc? unless its becomes an obsession and gets in the way of enjoying life. But that might be the very thing that means someone else enjoys life - not me though.

Last year I had no interest in racing - I didn't even do a Georgetown road, but I am hoping to give it a try next year and to get some level of fitness by training over the winter.

Like many other I only have a limited amount of time - probably one evening each week and alternative weekends and if someone can advise me on the best pieces of lego to use I'll try and use them.

I saw many cyclists who take their sport and their training seriously enjoying life last Friday at the Braveheart Dinner, no doubt it would have been different affair if there had been a race the next day.

Remember cycling might not be your number one priority in life but for some it is. No doubt that’s the difference between us and the likes of Chris Hoy and Graham Obree (that and the natural talent of course)

For others it’s just a way of enjoying ourselves, staying reasonably fit, meeting / making friends which can't be a bad thing.

this message isn't sponsored, but maybe I'll get one for Christmas

I think Paul did sum it up quite well really....although that knowlegde of knowing the difference etc. might be useful.. would that knowledge give me the knowledge of which bottle of wine to call it quits at?

However what's this about the'plan' for the Lego?

when I were a lad rims were wooden and Lego came without instr......

Now Meccanno that was something to aspire to.....

ss

Nov issue off "220 Triathlon" discusses the benefits of Creatine. To summarise

• You must be training 4-6 times a week, eating a diet of quality carb sources, lean protein, low hydrogenated (trans) fats (eg. virgin olive oil,
    fish oil, linseed oil)

Beginners are advised to get their creatine intake from organic red meat and fish --- this also provides quality protein and iron.

Caffeine can affect creatine absorption

There are no quick fixes to better performance, only work rest and a healthy lifestyle.

Personally I use low doses of creatine in a recovery drink after long runs or hard gym sessions. My own opinion is that protein intake is a greater dietary limiting factor for muscle repair and recovery, and for extending time to failure in strength work, than creatine.

Scott

Scott