arran 2005

simon simpson

All agreed that we had a great weekend in Arran...

I see from Steven Hickey's comments and from talks on the boat home that plans may be afoot for next year...

Now, you'll know that really racing isn't in my veins and really I'm more CTC than SCU so it'll come as no surprise that the idea of a hostelling weekend came to mind!

Arran is well served by 2; one in Lochranza and one in Whiting Bay

Youth hostels are still basic but moving forward

there are no chores

you can 'socially' drink with your meal

the curfew is 11.30 .......... I spoke to the woman at Lochranza and the curfew is negotiable within reason

You can now hang about inside during the day

The main benefit is price

next year Lochranza is £11.50 per night

Any group of 6 or more non-members can nominate one as a group leader who buys a membership card that cost s£6 to cover the group.

The other advantage is, of course, that you can self cater if preferred (There is also the Lochranza hotel). If self catering, you can arrange the kind of food you need to ride and recover from long days in the saddle i.e. Soup, Pasta, beer and wine, salad etc

I've already got a volunteer to be a 'camp chef' and provide a meal for everyone at cost and breakfast can be on the same basis or bought from the hostel itself.

Another advantage is with the price being lower is thatpeople are able to come a day earlier or stay on a day or two.

You could even get a family room and bring the kids.....

I've ridden down from Clydebank, over the Bridge after work on a Friday and made it to Lochranza for dinner.

Anyway it's just a thought....

It's also possible to go to any other hostel too.... we seem to be going again at New Year to Aviemore with about 7 other families..

If it seems a good idea post a reply and pop the poll.

Yours

SS

Team CTC/SYHA (new sponsor)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For all your computing needs, new machines, spares & repairs - the Yellow Computer Shop, Love Street, Paisley   0141-561-0323

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dead right Arran was a great weekend :grin: , my only concern about next year is that there is enough white bread to go round for ear plugs :lol:

For all your computing needs, new machines, spares & repairs - the Yellow Computer Shop, Love Street, Paisley   0141-561-0323

• 2024 Subscriptions

Agree

hostelling is great and cheap. I'm also a member. Mark and me had a great 4 days on Arran and Islay this August and definitely intend to do more next year. Nothing stopping other hostelling trips being planned if Arran stays with the tired and trusted DeRosa formula.

Hello, beer !!

First a word from my new sponsor"made with a full glas and a half of fresh milk",work that one out yourselves!!. Anyway,I am willing to continue organising the Aran weekend along the same lines as the two previous years if there are sufficient numbers,3 would do you know,but I so enjoyed that malarky on saturday that I would be willing also to do the old hostelling thing.P.S. do you bring your own white bread or is it supplied in-house?!!

"HAVE YOU VISITED CADBURY LAND YET?" (just down the M6 next to Birmingham).

While hosteling is good fun and I am sure we would all enjoy it, when taken into perspective the deal that Dougie got at the Auchrannie Hotel with all the pampering, swimming, sauna etc was fantastic value for money. Work out what it cost each of us and I recon Hotel ,food, drink and ferry fares came to less than £100 for the weekend. Thats £2 per week if we start saving up now for next year.

Our athletic bodies need to recover from the punishment we put them through in our quest for :lol: ah whatever Hello, beer !! the bar is open in the hotel when you want it :grin:

Worth thinking about ;-)

I would love to go hosteling with the bunch as well as keeping the Arran weekend in it's current hotel based format as an end of season treat :-P

• 2023 Subscriptions

agree with all the comments posted above.

dougie's plush weekend is cracking and the combination of sauna and kronenburg is a lifesaver at auchrannie.

however, what's to stop 2 trips in a year? my new sponsor caledonian-macbrayne would be delighted if we had lots of outings.

So how about Simon's YMCA sorry SYHA weekend at the start of the year, say 1st weekend after the clocks go forward? the wee bar at the Lochranza hotel has a cracking selection of whisky (dimly remembered)... or treat it as a spring training camp if you're serious?

SIMON

HERE IS A LINK TO INDEPENDENT HOSTELS IN SCOTLAND MY CLIMBING CLUB HAVE USED SOME OF THE HOSTELS THE DO VARY IN STANDARDS BUT ARE IN SOME GOOD POSITIONS IN THE COUNTRY.

CAMPBELL

http://www.hostel-scotland.co.uk/hostels.asp

Being fickle I'm off on another ploy....

A YMCA based hostel allowing us to take in some central or Northern roads....

Killin (Fairly crap pubs?)

Pitlochry (Excellent pub @ Moulin)

Braemar (crap pubs but great scenery)

Melrose (?)

all spring to mind

In this case best to find somewhere you can drive to on the Friday night.....

Any other location suggestions?

Estimated budget £20-25-30 per day

SS

P.S. I'm all in for a well deserved pampering so how about Auchranie via Lochranza via Bridge of Orchy via the Erskine Bridge... might mean an early start