Sunday 10th 9.30

ginty001

• 2023 Subscriptions

Planning to leave clubrooms at 9.30, for approx 60 miles at a brisk pace with a few climbs thrown in... Planned route would be Johnstone, Georgetown road to Bishopton, Gleddoch Rd (old Greenock rd) to Port Glasgow, up the Clune Brae, up DouglieHill, down the Whin into Greenock, up past the old Sugar factory up the hill on the the Brisbane Glen into Largs, along to Fairley, up the steep one onto the the Fairley Moor road over to Dalry onto Kilbirnie, onto track till Lochwinnoch then back road to Kilbarchan and home..

Please post if you fancy it :grin:

Ian.....

Thanks for the invite on the other thread!

I'll give it a miss this week as my bike is somewhat "shedded" after flanders (i'm having to kick it into the little ring!) and wouldn't want to hold up/annoy anybody as a result. If this isn't going to pose an issue to you, I may well still come along.

I'm all up for the following Sunday though, assuming I can find your club rooms!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Phil,

Having to kick your mech to get it to switch rings should be fine, we've got a few Campag users in the bunch, so we always have to allow for that kind of behaviour anyway :lol: if you've put on any weight after all that Belgian beer and Frites you might wanna keep it in the wee ring all the way round anyway and burn a few more calories Hello, beer !!Hello, beer !!

If we dont see you this week, catch up with you soon...

Ian...

Another splendid day oot in a compact 9.30 Bunch. Ginty, Dave, Ben "What Hills", "New Boy/racing snake" Phil, Alan, John and myself, joined by Alan McLaren, on the Georgetown, and Colin at Bishopton. Run very much as Ian posted above in warm spring sunshine at a reasonable pace topping out at 60 miles.

Easy run out before the lumpy bits from Bishopton to Largs and the climb of the day over the Fairlie Moor road. Alan and John left the group at Gleddoch as planned to do their own run. Group split at Largs with Colin and Dave heading off to get a head start on the Col du Fairlie. The remaining riders capitulating to the call of coffee and cake.

All came together again on road into Dalry care of a puncture. KOM goes to Ben (handicap suggestion would be for sand to be poured into that man's frame and a large sack of spuds tied to across his handle bars!) with Phil running a close second.

At Dalry Colin and Dave opt for a more civilised run back to Johnstone, while the rest of the group rattle back along the track to Lochwinnoch. Phil headed for home here - some small matter of a cycle race to watch and Belgian beer winking at him from the fridge. With a quick pitstop to top up bottles and its a case of dodge the walker and dog as far as Johnstone. Run officially over. Some testing climbs and fast descents into Largs and Dalry all told an excellent spin in great company as always. Cheers Guys Hello, beer !!

Footnote. Feeling relatively fresh and having already considered aiming at getting my first ton of the year under my belt,well it would be rude to waste such a sunny day, I take a circuitous route home via Kilmacolm, the moor road, Howwood, a brief pilgrimage to hallow ground on Miller Street, and a final 10 blustery miles down the track I clock 101.6 miles. Tender backside but happy bunny :grin:

Great ride today guys, really enjoyed it!

Ben was great value for that Kotm, he absolutely monstered me up that last climb! I got my revenge, however, by keeping the bottle he lent me! Muah ha ha! Seriously, i'll give it back next week.

Looking forward to next Sunday and to my Tuesday night TT debut the week after!

• 2023 Subscriptions

It was indeed a cracker of a day oot, and just in case anyone is wondering who the new boy "Alan McLaren" is he normally goes by the name of Alan McLean but obviously Mark must have had too much sun today ;-) The real new boy Flanders Phil pushed Ben all the way today for the plaudits, my legs were bursting when I got home just trying to keep in the same county half the time :rockets

Just when you think summer has arrived early, you have a swatch at the BBC website for a 5 day forecast, and are quickly brought back down to earth :angryfire

Ian.......

Good to be out with the pro's this morning if only for the flat section to Bishopton, even taking a turn at the front. As predicted me and my mate were left as the hills appeared. Jim and I did do the Gleddoch and Finlayson hills into Kilmacolm and once again onto the cycle track. Oh to be 20 years younger and 3 stone lighter !

Next time must be up earlier to be out with Willie Cosh and the rest of the 30 milers.