compact or tripple

pedalpusher

help needed

was out on sunday and struggled with the hills suggestion was maybe change to a tripple but that would involve changing bottom bracket as well so im told and could end up being expensive or option is the gear ring at the back .im new to this so any assistance or help would be gratefull

thanks

brian k

:-?:-?:-?

• Administrators

That's what was on mine.

I've now changed mine as I prefer to spin in an easier gear on the hills especially when I'm tired.

When the bike was getting serviced the cassette and chain were getting replaced anyway.

Bike shop put on an 11-32 instead of the 11-28 we had agreed on!

Hi Brian,

I take it you have 53/39 on the front?

Campag or Shimano?

As already said, you can change the rear cassette. I've got my Campag which goes to 29

teeth. I think Shimano only go to 28.....unless the 32 as stated above is Shimano!

Some will argue that 39x29 should see you up most hills in the UK and with increased fitness they'll obviously

get easier.

So...that would be the cheapest option.

Planning ahead to the Pyrenees, I've recently got a compact which gives me a 50/34 on the front.

With me having a medium range rear mech, the only thing I needed with the chainset was

the bottom bracket....but....with Campag Ultra Torque, the two arms of the cranks join in the middle

so the bottom bracket is replaced by cups which were £15.

Pop into Dooleys and they'd tell you what you need although unfortunately, they won't be able to compete with

internet prices although they would fit it for you.

As for compact or triple...always a compact for me. I'm vain in thinking

there is more of a 'stigma' with having a triple ! and I imagine a triple would

weigh more than a compact??

thanks richie

front is 52 to 34 in a bit of a quandry about this might change the back as the shop were i bought the bike willchange it for about £25 don't really know what to do would like to get the bike set up correctly so i can get used to it tinkering with a few things ie saddle height mark thought it was abit low shoe postion etc .raised saddle tried it out seems different but wont know till someone has a look while im riding

hope the knees ok let me know how you get on

brian k

Hello, beer !!Hello, beer !!

Brain,

I "unashamedly" have a triple chain ring on my winter bike. Originally it was a dual chain ring but had walkers cycles in Kilmaurs set the bike up as a fast tourer someyears ago. Nothing wrong with having a the small ring as an insurance policy to get you up that hill.

I found it much more comfortable especially on the old knees earlier in the year as I was getting intothe swing of things in the bunch and hasn't prevented me from improving my climbing performance over the last couple of months either.

Mark

thanks billy and mark

billy my set up is shimano you i dont really know what the difference is ,mark

it would be probably cheaper to buy an old frame with a tripple on it and do it up .might just have to hit the gym and work on the legs as well as losing some more wait .

billy congrats on flanders much impressed

still dont know what to do

anymore ideas wellcome

thanks

brian k

• 2023 Subscriptions

Brian,

Is your shimano setup 8, 9 or 10 speed, and is it the newer Hollowtech version. if it is you wouldnt need a new bottom bracket for a triple.. You said you chainset is 52.34, are you sure, it's not a standard setup, the more likely would be 50-34 or 52/53-39.. If you have a 50-34 (compact) then if you were to put on an 11-28 or even an 11-32 cassette then you would have tons of options for the hills. If you have a standard 52/53 - 39, then maybe the best option might be changing the chainset to either a compact plus a new cassette, or a triple and probably make do with the cassette you have...

Ian...

Ian beat me to it with the 52/34 question. Have a re-count :grin:

Regarding your set up...Google Sheldon Brown. His website has everything

but the rule of thumb/starting point:

Saddle height - cranks at 6 and 12 o'clock positions and your 6 o'clock leg should have a bend of about

25-30 degrees.

Too high and your hips will rock when pedalling.

Cleats should have the ball of your foot over your pedal spindle.

Likewise with your saddle for/aft position. Cranks at 3 and 9 o'clock and

drop a plumb line from your 3 o'clock knee and it should be about your

pedal spindle.

hi everyone

had a recount 9speed shimano with a 50/33 thats what i counted ,ian i don't know if its the new set up youre talking about ,richie sounds like i would need a degree in maths to sort out the ride position or maybe we could meet up and you could give me some pointers ,please keep the suggestions coming and withall your help i'll try and get this sorted

thanks everyone

brian k

:lol::lol: