Sunday 2nd Jan

Darryl Gunson

hi richie a couple of us are going out the morra ( tuesday ) for a easy cycle around glasgow leaving from st mirren f.c stadium at 09.30 your more than welcome to join us if you want as for the kit someone will post when the orders are being taken i think thats how it works its how i got mine.

greig

• Life Members

Hi Richie,

Welcome to the club and the mad world of club cycling.

The run we did yesterday was I would say a long one for the time of the year. The total milage was 75miles from clubroom to clubroom, average speed was something like 26-28kph according to my cateyes speedo. We don't usually do such big miles around this time, as you probably heard, a lot of the guys (from yesterdays bunch) are doing the Flanders sportive this coming April, and are training for the long miles so they can "ENJOY" the experience on the day. ;-)

Don't be put off by the distance and speed (or lack of), there were numerous bail-out options, in fact we started with around 13-14 riders, by the time we reached Largs we were down to 11, and then only 8 went for the return leg retracing the route back while some took the shorter (stepper) route back and 1 took the leisure option (who shall remain nameless)

So, don't be afraid. Just come along, there should be someone that will offer you directions for any bale-out course or even accompanying you to some where you are familiar with so you can get home safely. We all have to start somewhere and we've all been there as a cyclist.

You will see from the club run post that they are doing the Largs run again this Sunday, be it a longer version. You are more than welcome to come along and try it out.

Hope to see you out!

Cheers

Chung

Thanks guys,

Greig...thanks but trying to be sensible and get rid of a cold.

Chung...aye, I'll have to just get out and see how it goes!

I've not been getting out as much as I'd like due to work/family...and letting those be excuses!

My aim with joining the club was to get committed to getting out more.

When I have been out, my average speed has been in the 16's but I'm only out for a couple of hours. Maybe because I'm on my own.

When I get home I'm never tired so imagine I could go further.

I tend to just 'go with the road' and let that dictate my speed rather than pushing it.

My worry is that on the uphill drags....not steep as such...my speed will drop by 2 or 3mph where I imagine you guys would just charge along.

I tell myself that I'd be ok protected in a group?

Sunday is off for me. My wife flies to the US for a work training course! :shock:

Looks like I'll be in the garage with Sufferfest DVD's more now that she's back to work. She works every evening from 7.30, so depending on her meetings, means if I get get to the clubroom on Tues or Thurs (we have a 2yr old as well)

I'm in the same line of work as Kay so I'll have to take advantage of the weekends off when they come round.

Cheers