Vets RR

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Jim and I took part in a very wet O40's RR today at Balfron and Iain C in the O50's.

Can only give a quick summary of the O40 race as Jim and I made a Harp stay Sharp exit (those over 40 will know what I'm on about here). Day long break of 4 caught with about 10 to go with lots of work from JD and a little work from PMcD. New break of 4 got away with 5 to go and stayed away to line. Bunch sprint for 5th taken by Fawkirk guy with me next.

1 J Kermode

2 G Doig

3 J Greengrass

4 G Macrae

5 N Cameron

6 Me

don't know after that

PMcD

Oh ya dancer !

First of all very well done again to Paul and Jim (who is provisionally listed as 18th).

As Ramsay says, even Jim must surely have been tired after Erskine!

As for the O50s here goes: the pace was fairly brisk from the off and quite consistent. It was a fairly big bunch of O50s and women, but not too nervous or twichy despite the wet conditions. The pace was just too rich for me in truth. Having only previously done the MIllport event, I'd say this field was stronger and larger. I found it hard to maintain a desired position towards the head of the bunch despite 4-5 efforts which took me up there, other riders were quick to respond. At Millport it seemed easier to maintain a desired position. As a result, I spent far to much time towards the tail end of the bunch - not a happy place to be at any time and perhaps the moreso when it is wet, with some tight coners and quite a lot of punctures. Anyway, I managed to hang on for about a lap and a bit before getting shelled second time up the (modest) hill into Thornhill (about 35/36 miles I think). An Ivy rider had punctured just before Kippen roundabout, which impeded me a bit, meaning I had to chase across the moss to get back in, which I managed, but not in time to recover before the hill - the end of my race loomed!

After that the bunch was actually slow to disappear and I might even have got back again (tho' not for long I suspect) but I could not clear the road traffic which had built up behing the bunch. The Ivy rider who punctured (Jack Savage) came past me briefly, before I caught up with him again around Port Of Menteith. From there we spelled about to the finish. I am not listed on the results but Jack is listed as 12th and I finished a bike length or two in front of him, tho' neither of us could raise interest in a gallop for the finish! I think we were the tail enders of those who finished. The main bunch stayed together to the finish (apparently!) and only really spilt on the uphill from the rounabout into Killearn.

What if anything was learned? Back of the bunch is no place to be - just not strong enough. Need to train harder/ smarter and rest better. The Auld Yins who were good uns when younger are still pretty good and smart with it, as are the women riders at that level.

So, a tough shift in pretty horrible weather, but perversely I rather enjoyed it, if a bit disappointed not to have been able to keep up the whole way.

Results O50s:

1. Stevie Hazlett, IvyCC

2. George Avraan, Edin. RC

3. Andrew Kilpartrick, Fife Cycling 2000

O60s:

1. Billy McMillan, Dales Cycles RT

2. George Finlater, Elgin CC

3. Jocky Johnstone, Team Icarus.

Iain

• 2023 Subscriptions

Good effort Iain. I feel your dissapointment, having been in that position a few times this year and last, especially as often the main bunch only gets a few hundred yards away!

Sounds like the JWCC winter training bunch is going to be big this winter!

Cheers,

R