Reviving an old friend

Tom Hill

• 2023 Subscriptions

I have a Flying Scot Continetal Tourer which I have had from the tender age of 15. That was a long time ago!

It has gathered a considerable amount of dust on my garage wall for too many years and I have decided that it is time to breathe new life into it. I know Dales can offer the painting and chroming of the frame but would appreciate any help or suggestions on where I can beg, steal, borrow or buy other components to bring it back to its former glory.

Thanks

Tom

• Members

I've got some parts you might be interested in, Tom - a Campag derailleur, front mech and band-on downtube shifters. Campag hubs, too. All early '80s vintage if memory serves. The mechs are in better nick than the hubs.

The components came off a 1961 Flying Scot which I bought from Geoff Smith (the Glasgow Courier who sometimes does our confined events.) He built the frame up as a geared road bike. The parts looked pukka but the downtube shifting wasn't really practical - I'd have never ridden the thing - so I converted it to a fixed wheel.

Anyway, if you're interested, feel free to get in touch.

Btw, Bob Jackson in Leeds do excellent resprays. Not sure how the price compares to Dales, but I can send you a photo of the job they did on my Scot, if you like.

Tom,

I think I've got a couple of old Cinelli quill stems kicking about in the shed.

I've also got an old Raleigh 501 frame that's been gathering dust at my folks house for as long as I've been in the club practically.

Only thing that's missing on it is the saddle but brakes, downtube shifters could be slavaged if you want.

My mum keeps moaning at me to pick it up as it's cluttering up her spare room.

If you're interested LMK and I cna sort somethign out about getting the bits and bobs to you

Cheers

Neil

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. Interested in both. If you PM me your numbers I'll call to discuss.

Richard, it would be good to see a picture of the respray. I'll check out Bob Jackson's.

Had a close look last night and think the scratch on my quill stem is actually a crack from over zealous tightening!!

Tom