Sunday 8th - Alternative run - MTB/Cross

Ramsay

• 2023 Subscriptions

Following on from last weeks wet solo outing and from speaking to Martin, I am planning to go to Muirshiel again this Sunday morning for a cyclocross/MTB spin.

Will plan to be at the centre at Muirshiel at 09:30.

Hope to see a few out.

Cheers

Ramsay

• Committee

Beautiful day amongst the pink barytes of the old mine http://www.barytes.org/barytes.html , sunshine and deep, deep mud.

We practised cross techniques and falling off around the tracks of the old mine. The youngest Mulhooligan won five stars for his brilliant leaping cross mounting. I just fell off lots.

Super venue for a nice day.

A

• 2023 Subscriptions

from lochwinnoch.info:

The former Muirshiel barytes mine, situated in rugged moorland about 2.5 miles beyond the car park at Muirshiel Centre, was worked more or less continuously for over 200 years beginning in the mid-18th century. Barytes, or barium sulphate, is a high density mineral used in oil drilling, paint and paper-making, and - as a 'barium meal', in x-ray procedures. During the early years of production, all mineral extraction was done by open cast working, leaving rocky gullies which are still evident today. Later excavations took place to a depth of 660 feet. The mine closed in 1969, unable to compete with the quality or cost of barytes produced abroad, and the shafts were sealed off. The area around the mine remains a fascinating excursion for the amateur geologist, with a variety of rocks including strontianite, calcite, pyrite, quartz and celestine.

Don't know about all that, but it's a great playground for cross bikes. Much fun had by all. Any videos yet, Ramsay? :lol:

We followed up with a trip to the top of Windyhill, where we met up with Stevie Flindall and chums from the Fullerton for the third time. They were cheating and using MTB's though.

PS, the park ranger has asked us to avoid windyhill and the footpaths / trails through the park, principally because of erosion. They'd prefer us to stick to the mine track, hardridge, and a third track up Misty Law. That one is all the way up :oops:

Everyone racing next weekend?

M