Iain Lang

KennyS

It is with the deepest regret that we learned this evening of the passing of Club Member and Webmaster of many years, Iain Lang

Newer members to the club may not have had the opportunity to meet Iain, but his tireless work behind the scenes on the website, including this forum were greatly appreciated by all and it is testement to Iain's hard work over the years on this site that the club has been able to welcome both new members and visitors to the club from all across the globe.

Iain (username fatblokeonbike) was also an integral part of the organising teams for the Don Smith and Erskine Century events. Outside of the club, Iain was also the voluntary webmaster for many charitable organisations

Our sincere condolences go out at this time to Iain's sister and family.

Details of Iain's funeral will be posted as soon as they become available

• Members

Iain was a very private person who came to the aid of the club when its main communication platform was the old smartgroup which I had set up. His first club outing was to the Cumbrae team time trial when we had a multitude of teams competing in a field of over 120 riders. He came home enthused and the rest is history as they say. His plan initially was to cycle to every lighthouse in Scotland as part of his early retirement plan. Unfortunately his commitment to setting up websites for charities and local clubs and ill health meant he never managed to fullfill his ambitions. He set about building a forum and website which would ensure the club had a solid communication platform to spread its word wordwide. He spents too many hours to count over the next years working tirelessly for the club ,never asking for any recompense . Iain was an enigma who had a wicked sense of humour which many people didnt understand , he would deliberately wind people up and often this led people to think he was arrogant at times. In his own way he revelled in this and saw it as good sport . I was privileged to be allowed into his confidence and enjoyed many hours listening to him recount the many stories of his very colourfull life .

He was a loyal hardworking member of the club who put in place an electronic communication system which allowed the club develop fully over the years.

I will always remember my times at his home with him with the fondest memories.

I will always remember him as the web wizard who changed the clubs fortunes .

Kenny MacDonald

I have just come back, after a few days away, to hear the sad news about Ian.

In addition to all the things already said, Ian would go out of his way to help any individual who asked for it, as did I in connection with a website.

His sense of humour, helpfulness and dedication, as well as his forum name, 'fatblokeonabike', will never be forgotten.

Dennis