Loudon RC - Moscow APR - 25/04/2009

Ramsay

• 2023 Subscriptions

Cracking day out for a spin round the Moscow circuit (5 times!).

250 yards from the finish line I was a couple of metres clear of the field in first place! :grin: Unfortunately a lot can happen in 250 yards! :roll:

Myself and Mike had set off in the second group, and from the off the pace was fairly high. I was one of only 6-8 working all the way round, which was possibly a mistake, but I'm not the sort to sit in for a free ride! Anyway, as the pace was generally kept up we did reduce the size of the group a bit (including Mike :oops: ) and more importantly, we kept away from the scratch group!! Oh ya dancer !

About half way round the final lap a couple of guys crashed (unfortunetly two that had been working hard all the way - apparently all ok apart from road rash and some bruises). Two or three of us were out in front and we tried to take advantage of the wee gap that formed, but by Moscow it was all back together.

Tunring back onto the road along to the finish the pace was up at about 35-40mph, due to a fresh tailwind. A Discovery Junior rider was hovering around the front and as he had clearly been the strongest all day, I was not keen to let him slip away. However, as a result I was probably too far forward and expending too much energy!

As we came round the last corner with about 300 yards to go, I thought I would have a go, even though my instinct was saying sit in! I put the hammer down and got a couple of metres clear with 250yards to go. Turns out my "Finish Line Fever" was a move of madness and before long most of the 15ish strong group (a lot of which had just been sitting in all the way round :rockets ) had barrelled by me, as my legs had actually turned to blocks of lead! :angryfire

Anyway, you live and learn! Finished about a second or two down on the winner, so fairly happy for only a second ever APR. :grin::grin:

Might even enjoy this more than time trialling, so I'll be back for another shot. Although I'll need to work on tactics, including learning how to not do too much work. ;-)

Ramsay

• 2023 Subscriptions

Sounds like your enjoying this RRing. Best way to learn about it is to do it, I'm sure you would have been strong in the group.

You got some cracking weather yesterday. In the afternoon I was out further along the Irvine valley at Drumclog and it was 20 degrees.

catch you soon

PMcD

Oh ya dancer !