More road safety

Alan McLean

• Committee

Can I politely suggest that people move well back from the road edge if not actually competing during Georgetown TTs.

As a non-rider I had a lot of time to watch the cycle and car traffic interact tonight. There were cars moving through the start very fast while riders circled, waited to start or finished. The timekeeper and I saw some very close passing traffic.

The traffic, car and bike, was probably all moving quite legally but there was a real potential for a problem and I felt very nervous watching you all, hence my polite suggestions for finishers to get off the road ASAP.

This is not an anti-car rant, just an observation, and I know a few of you felt the same.

Safe riding folks.

Alan

• 2023 Subscriptions

While the subject of safety at a confined events has been raised, what are everyone's thoughts on wearing helmets?

I know it is (for some reason) a controversial subject, but to me it's like wearing a seatbelt in a car and the only time in the past 10 - 15 years I have ever riden without one (a helmet, not a seatbelt) was in the JWCC hillclimb. I know they don't always help in a crash, but if it only stops you cracking you skull open once, then it must be worth it.

I have in the last month witnessed a club member crashing and landing entirely on his head in the middle of the A82. Without getting into the whole "what if" senarios, the simple fact is that this crash cracked his helmet and luckily not his head. :!:

Everyone enters these fun/training events at their own risk, but surely wearing a helmet should be positively encouraged? In open events (often on exactly the same roads) you cannot start without a helmet!

Anyway, morning rant over. Hope there is less wind on the Georgetown next week, or that it at least stays as a tailwind all the time by magically changing direction as soon as I get to Houston! ;-)

Cheers

Ramsay

P.S. - Jim D - Hope you are OK if you did have a spill.

Just as a wee warning to those who use the Georgetown for commuting, racing etc to watch out for a new shape VW Passat black taxi. I witnessed this car last night cutting up a commuter heading in the Houston direction at the end of the long straight.

As far as I could see the cyclist did nothing other than be on the road. After cutting him up the taxi did a u-turn at the end of Reilly road and had another go as the cyclist passed. I had clocked this happening and pulled over into the adhoc layby just incase the cyclist was knocked off, however with a bit of wobbling he managed to stay upright. The taxi however sped off before I could get his registration.

The after effects of the Bejing Olympics, where drivers certainly seemed to give cyclists more room, would appear to have worn off. What evidence do I have for this? How about the 3 experienced and competent Joansin riders who have been knocked off by cars in the last month. :rockets

Keep safe 8-)

Colin

Other than providing a description of the car there's not much I can tell them. Without the registration number there's not much they can do.

I posted my message for the information of those of us who regularly use this section of road just incase an incident of a similar nature with a similar vehicle occurs. At least then there is a demonstratable history (probably not the first nor last time this nutter has done this type of thing).

Cheers

Colin