New Year's Day Triathlon, Edinburgh

Alan McLean

• Committee

Race season starts here for JWCC.

Twelve hours into 2009 and we started in perfect crisp, sunny weather around Arthur's Seat.

I wanted to break 1 hour 10 mins for the course: 400m swim, cycle three times (11 miles) and run once around the hill (3.5 miles). I say "around" the hill but the Queen's Drive rises high to Dunsapie Loch before dropping back to Holyrood providing a juicy little 100m climb every lap.

I had a good swim with only a few kicks in the face due to congestion; lane ends are always good for logjams. Quick change by the poolside then a lovely cycle round AS, swooping down to Holyrood, charging past the New Year's Day walkers before panting up to Dunsapie. From the top road section there were beautiful views over Edinburgh. A temperature inversion left the castle, hills and higher steeples floating in a sea of cloud.

Probably went a bit too fast on the cycle and had a slower run than I wanted but got a PB of 1.09.59. Phew.

Overall position 17th out of 367 finishers.

If you'd like to have a go at this then sorry, the pool is being closed for two years for complete renovation. They get a pool, we get a velodrome; good deal. See you in 2012.

• 2024 Subscriptions
Race season starts here for JWCC.

Twelve hours into 2009 and we started in perfect crisp, sunny weather around Arthur's Seat.

I wanted to break 1 hour 10 mins for the course: 400m swim, cycle three times (11 miles) and run once around the hill (3.5 miles). I say "around" the hill but the Queen's Drive rises high to Dunsapie Loch before dropping back to Holyrood providing a juicy little 100m climb every lap.

I had a good swim with only a few kicks in the face due to congestion; lane ends are always good for logjams. Quick change by the poolside then a lovely cycle round AS, swooping down to Holyrood, charging past the New Year's Day walkers before panting up to Dunsapie. From the top road section there were beautiful views over Edinburgh. A temperature inversion left the castle, hills and higher steeples floating in a sea of cloud.

Probably went a bit too fast on the cycle and had a slower run than I wanted but got a PB of 1.09.59. Phew.

Overall position 17th out of 367 finishers.

If you'd like to have a go at this then sorry, the pool is being closed for two years for complete renovation. They get a pool, we get a velodrome; good deal. See you in 2012.

Hopefully before then :lol: