Building a fixie - need bits and HELP !!!

Decided to convert an old bike into a fixed wheel for some winter training and to learn a bit more about how these 2 wheeled things work. Stripped the bike and once I stripped the rear cassette off realised the chain alignment will never work with the current rear wheel. Been to BBJ and he was so helpful, but I don't want to break the bank buying new bits for a v old frame, etc.

Anyway here's what I think I need....oh any help/advice would be greatly received as I'm a newie to this 2 wheeled stuff.

1 set of wheels that will allow spacer set to work or even better Track wheels or at the very least a rear wheel.

1 bottom bracket (the old bike had square taper thingy...see told you I'm new to this :-P ), cranks and 48 chainring.

1 18 tooth back sprocket.

1 seatpost (old one in a terrible state).

1 set Look pedals, not the current clip system but the older one.

The wife has allowed me a small budget ;-) so any help/offers of bits will be gladly received and paid for.

Big thanks,

Al.

What diameter seatpost do you need? I've got a couple lying around, one is 27.0 can't remember what the other one is. (Look at your old seatpost - the diameter should be etched on it near the bottom)

I've also got a spare chainset (square-taper) with a single 38-tooth ring, which you can have foc...teeth a bit worn but usable. It also has an old pair of Shimano spd pedals still attached. It will mean you'll need a smaller sprocket obviously...

hi al,

sorry i can,t give you any bike parts as i have just done the same and built a "fixed" for the winter but i will offer some advice (gratis of course) be prepared to have difficulty walking downstairs due to the pains in your legs!!!after your first serious ride as i had , although maybe the 50 year lay off had something to do with it !! any way the best of luck as it is great fun.

jim montgomery

oban

Well you could but on the other hand you could

a) go down to your local bike shop and ask them to save a few old 7 or 8 speed rear cassttes for you which people have replaced: the HG70 and 50 ones haave 2 mm allen bolts on the back tho' some are rivetted. Remove / file off- the cassette will split and you have a free spacing kit.... 9 speed may also be like this but I never wore out the cassette I had to find out.

B) get an old cassette, choose the sprocket you need.... angle grind the teeth off all the other sprockets-

c) I've only done this method on my 'pub' bike...used for 12 miles only before I stopped going out altogether!

Remove the rear derailleur....get an old cassette, fit it and wrap the chain round the one sprocket..... you are after in the middle of the block. The 16, 17, 18 and 19 usually go well with a 46, 48 or 52 to give you around 70-80 gear inches. High sixties to 70 is ok 80 is for tough guys.

Last I did it on 46x18 that meant 5 revs per mph so 90 rpm was a nice 18. This is a good solution as until you work out if you can cope with the one gear as you have to spend no cash. If single speed is not hard core enough try tie-wrapping your spokes to the cassette- never tried this but it should work for a few miles until you see if it works

Always carry a chain tool

The Clune and the Crow are two places you'll wish you had proper gears especially going down.

ps Don't even consider any of that bollocks about no need for a back brake etc

pps. Toe clips and straps are a nightmare and so are race pedals, It's winter, your not racing so get some double sided mtb pedals- the basic Time atac for about £30 max are reasonable

I

colin i don't think the spacer set will work as, once i'd stripped the rear cassette, the back wheel has nowhere to put them on.

simon, i like the idea of just putting the chain onto 1 sprocket and trying this until you decide if a fixie is what you want.

i could be sorted now without spending dosh Oh ya dancer !

big thanks guys.

al.