worrying trends in litigation

duncan thomson

• 2023 Subscriptions

An edinburgh cyclist is suing the group leader for a serious neck injury due to supposed poor riding on his part. The leader is desribed as the person at the front of the group

.She said it was also maintained that as he was at the front of the group he had a responsibility for the safety of it.

Maybe staying off the front will be more popular

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7216217.stm

another one, almost makes you wonder if it is a wind up. Fortunately not in this country although, the continent is supposed to be more bike friendly, not the case here it would seem.

MADRID, Spain (AP) — A speeding motorist who killed a teenage cyclist is suing the boy's parents over damage to his luxury car, the government says.

Enaitz Iriondo, 17, died instantly in August 2004 when businessman Tomas Delgado's Audi A8 crashed into him at 100 mph near Haro in northern Spain, an Interior Ministry traffic report said. The speed limit was 55 mph.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gnYGQfJrrKsp-WFxi8wk8hy7mb-QD8UD2HM01?loc=interstitialskip

the world has gone mad :rockets

duncan

• Committee

Hey Lawyer boy

If someone is driving/cycling/walking/unicycling then they have a responsibility to other road users.

If a car driver had caused the crash then you would be cheering if he got sued for 370k.

Doesn't matter if they know each other. If you caused me to crash badly due to reckless behaviour (like showing me your powertap reading) then I'd get a really good lawyer to sue you ('cos I know you've got British Cycling insurance for £10m and I'd want a bit of it :grin: ). You wouldn't lose out personally, apart from becoming bitter and twisted and not coming round for cups of tea.:cry:

Anyway you should be out training in the basement, away back to your trainer and cheer up. Spring is almost here.

A

Firstly you would have to prove that the leader we negligent in his/her duties.

Also did the person or persons involved come of there own free will and accord , have they been properly trained in the skills required to carry out the pursuit that they are doing .

This is quite easy to solve, you either get insurance or fill out a standard waver every time there's an outing against this type of problem .

Its either that or we start filling out risk assessments for every cycling outing listing routes numbers of persons involved names addresses ETC