The last P.B.P. qualifier - Audax Ecosse Daylight 600km

All

The last P.B.P. qualifier is this weekend starting time 6.00am this Saturday 16th June. Audax Ecosse Daylight 600km route is starting at South Queensferrry and going north via Crief to Aberfeldy then its west via Killin, Crianlarich-(102 miles) through Glen Coe to Ballachulish over Corren Ferry-(145 miles) and round to Fort William via Salen, Glenfinan then its south from Fort William to Connal-(257 miles), we then turn east for the home run from Connal via Tyndrum, Calander-(325 miles), Bridge of Allan down the south side of the Forth and cross the Kincardine Bridge then its to the Forth road bridge via Crombie and back to South Queenferry and its all over 373 miles done and P.B.P. hear we come we hope!.

Campbell

Audax Ecosse Daylight 600km Report

Saturday

The forecast for the ride was not good heavy rain and a strong North Easterly wind :-( and that’s what it was. It’s a daunting thought that you’re setting of on a 373 mile ride in the cold poring rain from South Queensferry on the Saturday at 6:00am. Well it was cold, wet as we set of for Aberfeldy into Strong North Easterly wind the route went via Glen Eagles, Creiff to Aberfeldy 65miles in 5 hour I was wet through & had to blocks of wood for feet but still rolling a long, into the café at Aberfeldy for some warm food and then it was of to Crianlarich station tearoom for the second stop 37 miles up he road this was pleasant as the rain stopped & we were blown along the road arriving all dried out and could fell my feet here I could have eat a horse as the saying goes but it wasn’t on the menu so settled for 2 cheese rolls 2 muffins and mug of coffee and can of Irn Bru it was quickly eaten and the I was off to Ballachulish over Rannich Moor at 1300ft in the poring rain and wind the only consolation at this point was all the weather could throw at me was snow but it didn’t and I got the run down Glen Coe with a tale wind not bad a 5 mile run out to Ballachulish from the top of the Glen. Ballachulish at this point is only 137 miles in to the ride and it was 4 o’clock in the after noon. Its was hard going.

From here you went over the Ballachulish Bridge & round to the Corren ferry which as you now is free for bikes & foot passengers. Crossing there & then on thro’ Strontian & Salen now the midges were out & the Sun came out this ride was starting to look good as your in beautiful country side in this area. The check point was at Acharacle in the Loch Sheil House Hotel 170 miles soup, filled rolls & coffee were provided here by the hotel on behalf of the organize. On leaving the Hotel the Sun was out the wind was easing as we set of in to the evening sunset thro Kinlochmoidart & Glenuig with to massif climbs in the stretch in rapid succession which used up 1 of the buols of soup and 2 of the filled rolls heading for Glenfinan Info control at 187 miles were Half way the time was 10.00pm 16 hours it was not looking good for a 32 hour ride that I had completed the ride in 4 years earlier. It was head down to fort William round the coast & back to Ballachulish (232 miles) arriving at Midnight for more food Soup, Pasta, Trifle with cream.

Sunday

We left at 1.00am for the short coastal ride 25 miles in the dark to Benderloch Hall were it was soup, sweet & sour Chinese & cake & custard to finish with, we rested her till 4.00 as by then there was no need for lights as the sun was on its way. On our way to Connell the ride was cool with the mist sitting only 2 feet of the road in the hollows as we road along. In contrast to 24 hours earlier it was just great to be out there as the light change as the sun came up on the road from Connal to Dalmally then you hit the first serious climb of the day & it went well for me, Tyndrum was reached with out any huffing & puffing then the freewheel to the check point at Crianlarich Village Hall 296 miles dun only 77 to go. We leave at 8.30am for Callander on the A85 thro’ Lix Toll & Lochearnhead in brilliant sun shine all the wet weather gear packed away and all the cool wet rain for gotten about just a pair of legs the are getting tired and they get more fuel at Callander for the last 47 miles to the finish which passes with out event at the roundabout at Dunblane were the M9 becomes A9 thro’ Bridge of Allan, over the Kincardine Bridge thro’ Crombie and then theirs the Forth Road Bridge in my sites and we have only got 2 miles, were we finish at 2.15pm on the Sunday 12 minutes longer than four years previous. Oh ya dancer !

Well that’s me qualified for my second attempt at the P.B.P. and entry sent off to Paris via AUK also Baxter’s tour booked roll on the 20th August at 08.00pm. Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

Campbell