Improve your riding style / position

a.yeoman

Just a thought following on from last Friday night with Brian

We spent last Friday looking at sizing issues, riding position on a bike and how to properly adjust the saddle peddles handlebars etc. There was also some talk about peddling style and getting the max power output by pushing the ankle down at the bottom of the stroke.

Dougie said he had been working on this on his ride into work and felt his average speed had increased as a result. I have to say I am a bit sceptical. Not that the change in riding style has resulted in an improvement but I think that just by thinking about what you are doing and concentrating on you riding rather than watching buzzards / singing to yourself / thinking about work / trying not to throw up etc will bring about an improvement. Once this “new†style is adopted as a matter of course without thinking about it can it be credited for improving speed times and then its time to start thinking about another aspect.

I was trying this when I was out on Sunday but found it difficult to visualise what I was doing and couldn’t be sure if I was in the right position or if I was in fact pushing down too much or not enough.

Then I had a brainwave (doesn’t happen too often but it can be worth the wait). What about video. We could either do this on the road and review it later or set it up on a turbo and watch ourselves “live†on a big screen.

I am happy to bring along a camera and a digital projector and my own directors chair if there is a demand for this.

Any thoughts?

Al.I take on board what you are saying but agree to a point.I said I had noticed a difference and this I most defiitely have.It only took me maybe three rides to and from work thinking about it and concentrating and now I feel it is second nature,be patient.If you think for one minute that I ride through Govan thinking about anything other than getting through the place asap then you need to try it,what a place!! :P

• Members

Alan

quite a few folk have expressed an interest in anoother video bike set up night.

Hopefully they will respond and let us set up a date for this.

Pedalling using one leg is a routine used to get used to pushing down and pulling up. Keep both feet on the pedals and only use one leg at atime to push , the other leg just turns with the pedal. Alternate between legs, try it you will be amazed how quickly you adapt to the different style.

Can i just throw in something here, change riding style is something that can take months/years, there is no miracle cure to make you better, many times you will become far worse before you get better. Luckily the club has an on hand expert every other friday night at the club rooms, Brain is probably the best most experienced rider in scotland, but even he can not cure things straight away.

I have had the pleasure of working with Kenny & Brian over the past years and although my times an results have improved (after getting worse for some time) i still dont have my riding position sorted out to my satisfaction, all i'm saying is this is a long process that i am still working on, so join the club, but we'll get there,

Cheers

Sean.

• 4 weeks later...