The Highwayman Challenge 200km 17th August

The Highwayman Challenge 200km 17th August

201km cycling event starting from Girvan. Controls at Knowe and Straiton.

The 2nd edition of the Highwayman Challenge features two options, 100km and 200km. Based on the hill roads of the Ayrshire Alps Cycle Park, the audax challenges both new and existing cyclists. More...

For full information visit http://www.southcarrickdaviebell.org

Distance:

201 km

Date:

Saturday 17th August 2013

Time:

09:00

Starting from:

Girvan

Fee:

£12.00

Closing date:

Entries should arrive at least 2 weeks before the event

LINK TO MORE INFO -

I AM THINKING ON DOING THIS ONE IT LOOKS GOOD ANY OTHERS UP FOR THIS

CAMPBELL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

ALAN

SORRY JUST SAW THIS HOPE YOU’RE UP FOR THIS IT SHOULD BE GOOD AS ITS NICE ROADS DOWN THERE.

I USE CONTINENTAL 4 SEASON TYRES 23mm ON ALL MY BIKES, AS I HAVE FOUND THEM TO BE GOOD IN ALL WEATHER CONDITIONS & ARE GOOD ON THE PUNCTURES TO.

HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE

CAMPBELL

• 1 month later...

ALLAN

SEE YOU THERE LETS HOPE FOR SOME DRY WEATHER & THE SUMMER ISN’T OVER. IT LOOKS A NIECE ROUTE, WHEN YOU GO TO THERE WED SITE. SOME NEW ROADS FOR ME WHICH WILL BE GOOD. LOOKS LIKE 3 OF US AT THE MOMENT.

CAMPBELL

PS I WILL BE LOOKING FOR YOU TO TOW ME ROUND.

• 3 weeks later...

Report....

Campbell and I arrived early in Girvan and were going to chuck it due to the rotten weather. We were then joined by Alan and between us decided to go as far as Newton Stewart, and if the weather was intolerable, loop back.

25 ish souls set off from Girvan. Arriving at Newton Stewart we decided we were drenched anyway so we might as well go on. Glad we did as some of the roads were fantastic despite the rain. The Raiders Road through the forest was not one of these roads, being an unsurfaced forest track. Littered with rocks (one of which I have now discovered has done for my front tyre sidewall) and rough as hell.The three Wheelers stopped for lunch at the Smiddy in New Galloway (highly recommended as they didn't mind the smell, dirt and puddles which formed below our seats!) The A702 to Moniaive, which was resurfaced put a smile on our faces as did some stretches of the road to and around Loch Doon and the rain becoming intermittent instead of a steady torrent. We stopped for a card stamp and some hot food at the Roundhouse cafe (well worth a visit for a filled roll and some great scenery) before heading back to Girvan via Carrick Forest Drive, which was supposed to be worse than Raiders Road, but proved almost smooth by comparison.

First Audax for me and Alan. 130 miles,over 7000 feet of climbing and 9000 calories. (And about 4 inches of rain)

Thanks to Campbell and Alan for sharing the load and keeping the craic going despite the hellish weather.