Scott D in Spain

Kenny MacDonald

• Members

Check out link to find out what Scott D has been up to!!

http://www.udg.es/cid/steven/macstrong/alumni.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For all your computer needs, spares & repairs - PC Express, Love Street, Paisley   0141-561-0323

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its spain kenny ?

Spoke to Scott this morning and he is back in the country.

Each time he goes abroad on those training camps stay well clear of him unless you want a total kicking!

Scott D ends up with the strength of ten men !

Go on Scott tell us what went on how you gave Steven Mac a doin? :lol:

Stevie B.

For all your computer needs, spares & repairs - PC Express, Love Street, Paisley   0141-561-0323

Scott nice pics dude!

is that yer new Airbourne frame????

No bad dutch bike that 8-)

Stevie B.

My vitus came apart a few months ago. Have you heard about carbon glue worms stevie? They eat the glue holding the frame together. Terrible beasties. I visited Alastair @ Wheelcraft thinking it was maybe just my bottom bracket causing my gear indexing problems. Turned out my downtube was loose in its housing. Al had my dream Airborne Ti frame hanging up (from China not netherlands ;-) ), and persuaded me to move all my components from the vitus over. If you've got a spare hour some time I'll tell you about the quality of the welds man. The welds the welds !

I was hoping I could keep this training a secret stevie :roll: So at the first race of the season when someone asks if I've been training, I can say "och a wee bit on the turbo. and a jar of pickled gherkins a day" 8-)

When I arrived Steven McGregor (Stuart's brother) gave me a warm welcome and got me settled into a youth hostel in the centre of Girona. Steven was to spend 3 days guiding me over some cracking routes around Girona. The next day though, I was to spend by myself.

I missed the diary sections on his website where Steven details his strong credentials in Duathlon :shock: Let me just say that Steven will give any visitors as long and hard / or easy a training session as they want.

Not knowing this I went out on a long solo run the next day. Heading west from Girona, then north to Olot. Very cold in the morning, and as I headed north frost appeared on the road. By the time I approached Olot I could see the Pyrenese mountains to the north. The 3rd pic in Steven's list is of the village of Besalu further east on the way back. There are many pretty villages like this around Girona, where the weary cyclist can stop to savour good coffee and the mild spanish weather.

The next day I rose early and went out for just over an hour to stretch my legs. Steven arrived later for a 3hr session, and we went out on one of Lance's training runs - a climb to Montnegre. Pulse responded well, and I stayed at threshold for the duration of the climb. We were both feeling the pace, giving me a chance to tell my duck joke one more time, pretending it wisnae that hard ;-)

The following day was a longer run (4hrs) climbing east out of Girona into the mountains, then onto the stunning coastal areas around Tossa de Mar. Picture 7 gives an idea of the scenery around there.

The last day was a 4hr run southwest to tackle the climb to Sant Hilari Sacalm (900M elevation). About 25 miles southwest, the 9 mile climb began. I could feel accumulated fatigue in my legs, and pushed to breaking point several times. Steven stayed just ahead of me shouting encouragement and counting off the distance until the next km sign. The guy is a beast on the climbs. The simplest way to get stronger is to push until your body fails, recover, than push again. Repeat until you get stronger. The risks of this approach are illness and injury, but these are minimised if the individual has a strong exercise base, a good diet, and uses good form. Each of these items are addressed in Joe Friel's periodization approach to training ( :eureka Mark Young).. base preceding intensity, emphasis on learning good form through speed drills, the importance of diet and recovery.

At the top I was glad of my coffee and looking forward to the cycle back. Some mountain bikers came into the cafe beside us and they were soon drinking large beers ! For us the quality continued with some wheeling about on the return and we were shortly back in Girona again.

I've not mentioned that beautiful architecture in Girona (imagine a prettier version of Bath). Theres lots to do when your not cycling, and lots of exclusive shops to visit (take your partner with you :-P )

Trip details:

Flights: £40 for return. £34 Ryanair surcharge for bike carriage. £55 B&B at youth hostel. Guide fees + airport pickup from Steven

Scott

Mr McDonald,

You have no idea how much pleasure it gives me to finally know the truth.

You did indeed change the date on the Reliability post just as you changed Mr Donaldson's destination from Italy to Spain.

Now though I have another witness, eh Stevie.

Id like to say it made my year :grin::grin: but I hope I have some other milestones to achieve....

Hey Ian nice 1 as i did not even see that1 ......

O eye eh Kenny?

A bit of power when your part of the admin team , this means you can chop and change when its suits......

tut tut tut................

Dearie me !

Stevie B.

• Members

Nice try Mr Manson

but I didnt change the date , you got it wrong . I didt need to edit it in the way that I had to change this thread. I for some strange reason thought Scott was in Italy ( he was prior to Spain , but I,m not supposed to let anyone know.)

So Mr Manson you have just earned a star in the Hammock saddle award for trying to wheedle out of your earlier mistake.

You made a misake , own up , after all we are all human - even accountants ;-)

Ah Kenny if only I knew how to set up a poll.

Is Kenny telling porkies or not ,,,,,,

You know us accountants,, honest as the day is long...

and how long would you like it to be sir ??

Game on lads get in there!!!!!!!!

Come on Kenny geez some o yer patter?

Stevie B.

I will be doing my best to win that Hammock prize back as its only on loan :lol:Oh ya dancer !