Stripped Bolt

Phil Malcolm

Anybody got a good idea as to how to get a recessed 3mm allen bolt out of my mech hanger?

The hanger was bent so I went to replace it and I cant get it off! I have tried a new allen key, a torx bit, gluing an allen key into it and sawing a groove in the top to get a screwdriver in there.

I put this up on bike radar too, but the response I got there was along the lines of "You sound like an idiot, I'd pay someone"!

Not at all Phil. I am not qualified to answer, Im just letting you know what Id do.

Assuming it is the head of the bolt that's chewed, and say its 3mm in diameter. You want a 1.5 or 2mm drill bit specifically for use with metal. Use a power drill not battery and very carefully drill right down the centre of the offending bolt, all the way through. Now you should have a hole in the bolt right down the middle, if your lucky you will 'free' the bolt whilst drilling. Allowing you to remove it. If its not free, lots of WD-40 into the area. leave to take effect.

Then glue the allen key or similar into the hole youve drilled in the bolt and remove, hopefully.

If you dont fancy it, take it to someone like Willie Cosh who would be able to get it out for you.

Good luck.

All sound advice from Kenny. Loctite make a bearing adhesive that can be bought from the bearing wholesaler situated in Abercorn street, Paisley. It's on the right opposite performance tyres as you travel up the street. The stuff you are after is loctite 638 retaining compound. It is an engineering quality locking cement that resists a serious amount rotational force and will possibly be effective if you still have a slight degree of contact between the allen key and the head of the bolt. It costs about a tenner for a small bottle. check it out on the loctite website to find out if you still have the tolerances between bolt and key required for it to work effectively prior to any drilling.

Cheers

Jim

There's three options ,

1, use a screw remove which works by cutting into the wrecked bolt head on a anti clockwise cutting into the head and removing it .

2, Drill out the bolt head and use a easy out works on the same principle as above ,but the bolt must be drilled out to accommodate the easy out they come in various sizes .

3, get a Torx bit as you have done hammer it in get a hair dryer and heat the boss ,that's taking it is a aluminium boss and a steel bolt when putting them together you should use copper slip aluminium and steel oxidise.

If you have a real problem give me a shout .