Should i go Compact or not? advice needed

Al

hi folks,

i'm currently using standard 39-53 and really like 'grinding' up hills (not found a hill around here that i havent made it up yet). however i'm cycling the Alps for a week in June :icon_redbounce and worried that i'll really struggle on some of the bigger hills (i've never cycling in the Alps before).

any advice on whether i should change to a compact or not would be really appreciated.

also if i should change - can i continue to use my Ultegra front mech (it's being used with RaceFace Cadence chainset) and my shimano BB or do i need to change the whole shooting match?

big thx,

al

Al

Did ventoux a few years ago and used a compact with 27 cassette and was still looking for more gears the climbs ate just so long

As replacements go your front mech should be ok

Hi,

Lucky you heading to the Alps. Where are you staying and what cols do you plan to do?

How fit are you just now?I spent 2 weeks in the Alps a few years ago. Did L'Alpe d'Huez, Telegraphe, Galibier, Croix de Fer, Lex Deux Alpes etc and I had a 39x29 as my lowest gear.

I hadn't a lot of miles in my legs but once I was used to the climbs, I found it ok with that gearing. Can't really remember it being really, really hard......just hard :grin:

The Alps aren't really 'that' steep (first 4kms of d'Huez is) but it's just really the length of the climbs. Going uphill for 15kms is some effort.

Did Ventoux a couple of years later and suffered really badly and vowed I'd get a compact for any european adventures.

Heading to the Pyrenees in June and I've got my compact 50/34 to go with my 29!!

Just had to change the BB as my rear mech is a medium cage.

If you're not struggling just now, you could get a Shimano cassette. Think they go to 28 teeth.

The compact would be easier ....and easier on your knees!

• Committee

Al,

The only cost is a new chainset compatible with your BB. I would do it because it will allow you to spin up very long ascents, lasting up to a couple of hours. But make sure you change to a 34-tooth small ring, rather than just a 38 or 36 which are fine for 'cross but a fairly pointless change for your purpose.

your FD will be fine but you may have to drop it by a couple of mms which can be tricky if it is a braze-on. If it is band-on then just check you can easily move it down. You'll then have to adjust and maybe replace the FD cable.

You may need to lose a chain link.

I've ridden in the Dolomites on 34/25 which was fine so you could probably just keep the cassette but change to a 27 if you have the cash. If I ran out of gears on the descent then I was going fast enough and just stopped pedalling.

Have a good time.

Alan

thanks for all the advice guys.

i'll check the FM, i'm pretty sure it's not braze-on.

i've been offerred a 27 cassette, so might try that first to see what difference is to the 25. but it's obviously not gonna make huge difference.

haven't decided what cols we're doing, but as big Dave P is organising it and he's booked on l'etape this year Alpe d'Huez will be a defo. he's gonna be on a 34x32 set-up so if i don't change things he'll be sitting spinning away next to me with a big grin on his face saying "...i told you so..." :grin:

i might put a Wanted post on buy/sell for a Compact, but i know they're like gold-dust normally.

big thx

al.