Bike carrier query

lancelogan

Mark,

I am on the scrounge for a loan of a fork mounted cycle carrier ala Thule 561 type as I wouldn't use my current carrier which clamps around the down tube on my carbon frame.

My advice is you shouldn't put any sort of compression on your carbon tubes as they are only designed to be loaded in a certain way.

Others may disagree but it's a cracking frame you've got there so I personally wouldn't risk it.

Davie

• Life Members

Hi David & Mark,

I have been using the clamp type Thule bike carrier for the last 7 years, both for my winter aluminum bike and my summer carbon bike with no serious issue at all. The only thing that the clamp does is that it scuffs the clear lacquer (which is cosmetic). This is caused by the bike actually moving slightly side to side while on transit, as it's not completely rigid which is a good thing.

As a result, what I do now is wrap a piece of cloth around the down tube before clamping it.

Previously, I was thinking of buying a fork mount carrier as well, but didn't after I read on the box that said "Not recommended for carbon fork". It might not be an issue any more but that was what it said at the time.

As far as I know, Kenny Christie uses the fork mount carrier for his bike. Maybe worthwhile speaking to him.

But I think both options are fine for carrying bikes on the roof. I think these big company will not put out products which will cause a lot of unnecessary complain from customer if the product don't work. If you are still in doubt, then the safest option would be put it in the boot of the car. ;-)

Hope that help

Cheers

Chung

Hi Mark, Chung,

I think part of the problem is that you will not get a definitive (official) answer to this (maybe to do with liability) as when I did web searches all I found were blogs with various peoples opinions. Some were like Chung who had experience of using the clamp type carrriers without issue, others were dead set against it.

I suppose officially you could contact Ridley for advice but I could probably guess what the response would be :rockets

My experience was really formed when I did a trial clamp on my frame and I chickened out before I put any meaningful pressure on the clamp as it just didn't seem to be the right thing to do and it doesnt help that CF frames tend to have non-regular profiling on their tubes either. This was before I did the web research which put me off further.

Given the chance I would stick it in the boot.

Sorry know this is no help :-?