Durness Duress 317km Audax Saturday 29th May

Durness Duress 317km Audax Saturday 29th May

The ride started cold and damp with light drizzle a field of 30 rider set of from Portmahomack at 6.00am in the morning with great vigour Young David and I lead them out at a sensible pace for the first 2 miles then some won must have said that we had cleared the neutral zone and the pace picked up I just sat in and let the drag me along till we got to Lairg and hills were there, I paced my self up the hills with a group of rider that were slower. So I went up the hills at my one pace getting to the first control at 9.10 not bad 3hr 10minuets for 52 miles it would slow down from here on as the field would be spread out. The rain had stopped at this point so the rain jacket was put away but it would not be for long.

The road to Durness has its ups and down but nothing to serious but the scenery is spectacular now real views of the hill as there was low cloud. On arriving in Durness the rain returned it was some good food in the Sango Sands Oasis. From hear to Tongue it is very undulating country along the top of Scotland with some lovely coves, at Hope there is a seriously step hill then it eases of to the top with a long descent to the sound of tongue were the post office tea room had some good coffee and cake to be had the would take me over the hill to Altnaharra and the climb to the Crask Inn which was the penultimate control. Well on leaving Tongue there is a long gradual climb from sea level to Loch Loyal well it could not rain any heaver and it never stop till I finished but on the bright side we had a tail wind that blow us down the road to the Crask Inn which was a welcome brake from the weather with soup and macaroni cheese on toast this was going to take me the last 49 miles in the rain. I had cought up with 4 other riders at this point one of them being David so he weighted will I eat my tea and the 2 of us set of for the last stint. We got to Portmahomack 197 Miles at 9.10pm we were cold wet and wearer but had made it before nightfall, there was a warm shower, food and good company at the finish there were 6 riders in in front of David and I and the last rider finished at 1.00am on the Sunday morning. It must have been tough for the later riders as they where out there in the dark and all that rain.

Portmahomack 6.00am

Overscaig Hotel 52 Miles 9.10am

Durness 92 Miles 12.00pm

Tongue 121 Miles 2.30pm

Crask Inn 148 Miles 5.15pm

Portmahomack 197 Miles 9.10pm

13 hours 30 minutes cycling

1 hour 40 minutes spent at controls resting and refuelling.

Doing a 600km on 12 June lets hope the weather is better.