Nick Hardy Memorial 18-4-10

Guest Jim Daly

Guest Jim Daly

3/4th cat race today in freezing wet conditions. I should have taken a forecast late on Saturday evening for snow on the Grampians seriously.

I was loaned long finger gloves on the start line and that allowed me to complete the race. Many drop outs.

Having studied the map of the course and wind direction, I reckoned that a break would not get away and that I should attack with 6 miles to go. But I didn't have the nerve/patience to wait. In a break for a few miles and plenty of attacks. Having jumped to a failing 8 man break, the successful break went at 6 miles to go!

Was gapped by the bunch on the last part of the climb but managed to pass a few. The bunch finished a minute down and I was 20 secs later in 25th from 72 starters.Quite happy with my performance and relieved not to crash during an excursion on the muddy grass verge at a wet tight corner, after being nudged off my line at max effort.