Meadowbank GP

Jonathan M

Only realised that i should probably give an odd race report or too so here goes ;-)

Last weekend i was through at the Meadowbank Velodrome racing in the Meadowbank Grand Prix. I arrived to find (for once) glorious sunshine greeted us Oh ya dancer ! I also found out I was racing in the support events rather than the youth omnium with the men which was alright as i can normally survive reasonably well in that category. As it turned out we had the huge jamaican Marloe Rodman who wasn't eligible to ride the british omnium champs so he was chucked in with us :-(

My first event was the 5k scratch. I stayed in the bunch comfortably, managing to chase down an attack from Joe Sutherland, taking spells at the front (maybe one too many :shock: ) and was edging to the front of the bunch about to kick when Paul Stewart (the only other youth in my race) launched his attack and i was spat to the back of the bunch rather quickly and not managing to close the gap and crossed the line as the last finisher with Big Marloe taking the win via a bunch gallop. Although a rather bad finishing position, i was quite pleased with how i had sat in and worked for the bunch and learned many lessons from that race.

The next race was a 10k points race. Marloe attacked early, so i somehow ended up leading the chase again, and yet again tiring myself out for the sprint only managing a 5th which equates to no points. As the pace picked up i found myself dropped and going backwards. I then sat up and realised Marloe was about to lap me so i quickly jumped on his back wheel and sat there for about 6 or so laps. When i realised the bunch was about to catch us i retired seeing no need to be there.

With the "Unknown Distance" event up next this could either go very well or very badly - the commisaires randomly ringing the bell whenever they felt like we had suffered sufficiently;-). I decided to take a risk and i attacked which ended up being ill fated with probably another 7 or 8 laps to go so again it was a DNF on the result sheet and another sweeping win for Mr Rodman

The final event of the day was the Devil or 'Elimination race' With the last rider across the line being pulled out every 2 laps. To our surprise Marloe Rodman attacked, which according to every other devil race i've done, is illegal, so no one chased him. i got eliminated 2nd after being boxed in at the back with no other way around everyone. And winning that race was yet again Marloe who seemed to be making quite a healthy profit from his days racing.

So all in all Saturday wasnt the best day in terms of results but i had plenty of things to take away from a days racing ;-)

Sunday brought showers all before my first event, but there was one upside: Our Jamaican friend was racing with his own category! :grin:

After the dreaded derny racing (if you've watched them you'll know!) my first race of the day got going - The 3k Scratch. I fancied my chances in this event as it was quite short. I managed to sit in the middle of the bunch not doing too work and with 500m to go i launched my attack, after about 70m or so i looked behind me expecting people to come charging round me, but found i had opened up a gap of around 30m. with the bell lap approaching i checked again to find i still had a large gap. Although i died in the last bend i only had Andy Laing come round me in the last 5/10m so i was pretty chuffed with a 2nd place.Oh ya dancer !

The next devil proved to be quite an anti-climax being eliminated early on after being boxed in and nearly taken out by some irish girls who had their first experience of riding a banked track :angryfire With big Andy Laing taking his 2nd win of the day.

My penultimate event was the Keirin in which i was in a tough heat which had many sprinters including Marloe. I ended up at the back of the line and as the derny pulled off the guy in front of me started to blow as the pace was romped up. As i was about to come around him, he swung up the track almost pushing me into the fence with me giving him my opinion on the situation so i rolled in in 5th place not qualifying for the final which Marloe Rodman then won.

So my final event and the final event of the weekend loomed and it was the 8k points. I could come up with 101 excuses for this event but basically i rode terribly dying within the 2k.

So with 20 quid in the pocket for my second place, it capped off which was a great weekend, perhaps not in results but i certainly learned a lot from it.

Cheers :grin:

Guest Jim Daly

Jonathon

I enjoyed reading your report.

I'm sorely tempted to go back to the track and take on Marloe :oops:

The timetable for the scottish champs doesn't suit, though.

Jim