Lothian FLyer Memorial RR

Ramsay

• 2023 Subscriptions

Was the only JWCC rider down in the Borders this morning for the Lothian Flyer Memorial.

Full field of 60 riders rolled out and the pace was fairly good even in the neutral zone! 5 laps of a lovely wee course gave a 37mile race, with a bit of climbing every lap.

For the first three laps a solo rider was off the front, but then got cought. I had been around the front of the chasing group (about 25 riders). A lap and a bit was fairly steady tempo and then after a tricky left bend a Nevis RT rider sneaked off the front. I tried to go with him but he was away pretty quickly. As we had 3/4 of a lap to go, I thought we would catch him!!

At the start of the last climb, with about 2miles to go, the Nevis rider had 28seconds on the group, so it really was all about 2nd place. The finish was a right hand turn off the main circuit and I stupidly hand't checked it out during the warm up. To cut a long story short, I got to the turn off and went for it, and held a slender gap (i.e. - 2nd overall) as we passed the 100m to go flag. But, unfortunately, my day was done!! Once again, I had the old finish line fever and past the 100m flag was a good steep finish, where most of the main bunch passed me!!

Think I was about 20th!

You would think that as I had been saying to myself over and over and over again in the last five miles "Don't do too much and don't go early", that I wouldn't have done too much, or gone early, but....... :oops:

Anyway, good day out and a good spin. Legs felt not too bad. Brain clearly not learning anything from all the races I have done this year! :shock:

Only slight downer on the day was a loud mouth a**e from a club down the road, who, as well as shouting at people for "cutting him off" when he was weaving all over the road, also took to cursing and swearing at passers by for using the public road!! Idiot! :rockets

Ramsay