Edinburgh Nocturne

Alan McLean

• Committee

The Grassmarket was closed to traffic and there were packed crowds in hot evening sunshine to watch the racing around a 1.2k circuit including a the brutal cobbled climb up Victoria St from the Grassmarket.

JIm was in the real support race with the grown-ups.

I had my Brompton for the folding bike race. Office wear was compulsory. Most entrants had BC race licenses so it was not quite the relaxed event I had hoped for.

There was a sprint start to the folded bikes, then a fumble to build up the bike and a bit of jostling to get away from the start for three laps of the circuit.

I was half-way down the field of twenty or so at the start. I won a few places back but had to stop a couple of times to pull up a sinking seatpost. I found out that the Brompton can descend about 35 mph quite comfortably.

5th overall.

High point was joining David Millar et al. in the riders' pits. Photos to follow.

Fantastic racing all evening in the best weather with Edi Castle looming above us.

a