Bike box or bike bag?

• 2023 Subscriptions

When I take my bike on holdiay I usually go to a bike shop and get an old cardboard box and pack the bike in that, but they don't wear very well and tend to tear open when wet! Also requires a lot of tape etc..

Anyone have any thoughts on what is best; a bike carry bag, a bike carry box (hard plastic) or should I just stick with using cardboard?

Bike bags are certainly much cheaper than boxes, so I would need a lot of convincing that a box is better...

Any thoughts?

Ramsay,

Bike box definetly 8-)

I took my mountain bike to Morzine a couple of years ago and when collecting it on the return journey at Glasgow airport it had a nice big rip down the side :angryfire . Fortunately no damage to the bike itself but that was more due to good luck than good judgement.

I then decided last year that the box was the way to go and how glad was I about that decision when, whilst sitting looking out of the plane window before departure from Glasgow, I clocked a baggage handler throwing my box back onto the luggage buggy (presumably it had fallen off :angryfire )

The main downside of the box is the additional weight but in theory if you book it in with the airlines in advance you get a more favourable price. Not turned up at a check in desk yet though that had a record of the bike being booked in (even on a transfer flight with the same airline that I flew with earlier in the day :smash )

If you are planning a trip in the near future let me know and you can borrow my box.

BTW in your office on Monday avo so may see you then. Don't think I will make it out even for the 10am bunch on Sunday.

Cheers

Colin