Frame diffrences

gregbalden

• Committee

Greg

A winter frame is a kind of road frame but will usually have extra clearance around the wheels for wider tyres and for mudguards and maybe a rack. Winter frames will tend to be a bit cheaper and heavier than a nice light summer frame. They get a lot of wear from salt and grit so it's not worth spending loads on a winter frame.

Audax bikes have their own devotees and I'm sure that someone reading this will tell you what's special about them.

Are you getting a nice summer bike? :grin:

Regards

Alan

Greg

modern road frames are generally designed with minimal clearance between wheels and frame which means you can't fit full-length mudguards (or any tyres bigger than 25mm, generally). Also they do not have mudguard or rack eyelets for obvious reasons.

Any frame advertised as an "audax/winter" frame is likely to have bigger clearances along with the requisite mudguard eyelets and usually also rack eyelets, so that you can easily fit proper full-length mudguards and put a rack on for carrying panniers, should you wish to use it for touring or more likely for commuting which is what a lot of people do.

You need to be aware also that there are two distinct variations within this theme:

1. Some "audax/winter" frames are designed for short-reach brake calipers (39-49mm reach from brake pivot bolt to centre of brake pad). These will generally only accomodate a 23mm/25mm tyre with a mudguard. E.g. the Ribble winter frames which are very popular.

2. Some are designed for long-reach calipers (47-57mm). These will normally accomodate a 28mm tyre with a mudguard, sometimes even a 32mm tyre. E.g. the Kinesis Racelight T frames.

If you're looking at buying an audax/winter frame and it doesn't mention anything about whether the brake calipers are short-reach or long-reach then it's safe to assume they will be short-reach.

I believe it used to be compulsory to have mudguards in audax events (still is for some?) hence the reason why these frames are sometimes called "audax frames".

Hope this helps

Tony

The mudguard thing has never been enforced....

Not even in the regulations for 200km

I've ridden 600km on a road frame both with and without muddies... the clearance was so close that holes would be worn in the back one by grit

The front was a scary close clearance but I never had problem. I did once get a bit of wood trapped in a touring bike front mudguard....

the whole guard concertina'd up under the fork crown..far more effective stopper than discs....

ss