tri/duathlon events 2008

Alan McLean

• Committee

I've entered Ayr Duathlon, Bishopbriggs and National Open Water at Strathclyde. All on entrycentral. Hope to do them all, work permitting.

Aberfeldy Long Distance in August, always difficult to track down entry forms.

Company welcome.

Ayr is small and friendly run/bike/run. Manageable even if you're new to running. Good excuse for a new TT bike.

Briggs have a novice section so it doesn't matter if your swimming is weak, you will be in good company. Cycle and run are on closed roads.

National Open Water is a bit longer but real sense of achievement. Also closed road.

Aberfeldy is pretty serious and needs training. Beautiful scenery and good family weekend venue.

Please PM/email me if you are new to this or would otherwise like to discuss.

Regards

Alan

• 1 month later...
  • Committee

Lovely weather in Ayrshire for the Ayr Duathlon. 65 entries. The 5k run was contained within the Agricultural College grounds and looped back and forth through ornamental gardens and riverside walks. All seen through a haze of sweat.

Two bike laps of quiet country roads followed, 22k with a couple of wee hills, then back to the country house grounds for another 5k.

Winning order was established by the end of the bike run. The fairly small field meant that I was often running alone.

I was 7th overall, (3rd vet) and a Vicky Begg was 2nd lady, a mechanical cost her top spot. Tony completed his first duathlon and got a good result. We're doing the Briggs triathlon in a couple of weeks, maybe see some of you there.

Alan

• 3 months later...
  • Committee

I think Duncan and I were the only Wheelers in action at Aberfeldy for the middle distance triathlon. Quite a big field now and difficult to spot fellow club members.

Bracing swim in Loch Tay then a beautiful TT around Schiehallion and Loch Rannoch in warm dry weather before the run.

Course record remained very secure despite Duncan's and my best efforts. But we both got PBs :grin: and had a little refreshment in the evening.

This is really a stunning race route in Perthshire which makes you wonder why anyone takes a bike anywhere else (rain and midges. Ed).

If anyone wants a challenge for next year then try a couple of shorter tri events first and have a go at this next summer. (Start training Jan 2nd.)

A