Gifford report- oot the back,

Alan McLean

• Committee

Beautiful sunny, clear day but VERY windy. ERC/sponsors laid on a great event, big marquee, barbeque.

Four JWCC in B race: me, Duncan, Howie and frank. Lone Paul McD with the grown ups in A race

The course was roughly square. One side fierce crosswind, one side fierce head wind, one side uphill AND crosswind and one side tailwind.

Great spectacle as the bunch went through the village at about 50kph.

80 riders is a lot on wee roads and I went to the front on the descents to avoid any crashes. There were at least two which held back a lot of the field.

I stayed with the lead bunch for two laps but at every corner, despite trying to get some cover, I got stuck in the wind. The windward side of the bunch was really horrible. I could feel myself tiring and, sure enough, I was dropped on the hill.

I was then in no-mans' land for a miserable half hour and, even when a couple of bunches came through, I could only stay on for a mile or two. Solo or in small groups the head wind was a killer.

On the final lap I'd resigned myself to at least being the first Wheeler when bang:, Frank came charging past with a wee group. No chance of a tow to the finish though, Frank was very strong and left me standing as he sped off. Well done! Oh ya dancer !. He wasn't even on his P3.

Eventually limped back with an Embra guy who got the sprint.

http://www.scuonline.org/newsdetail.asp?Nid=1692&DID=2

(Our placings are a little better than this because some of the lapped riders have been given times for four laps instead of five.)

We had beers and lunch in the pub, deserting the family every 20 minutes to watch the A race come through.

Paul was in a very strong field and retired after 3 laps. Pedal Power stomped on the field and got 5 out of first 10 places.

JWCC officially 7th team (out of..er....seven, I suspect)

Roll on summer

A

• 2023 Subscriptions

er, no Alan, Howie was well in front of me, but thanks anyway.

Finished 2nd in a sprint with a group of 7, beating 2nd and 3rd placed women, very strong cyclists.

Sorry that despite all Kenny's words of wisdom and Darryl''s suggestions, the bottom line was, when the arce when off like a bullet, I was near the back and worked hard to get to front third near start of climb at which point I was nearly done. I tried to stay with bunch but ended up looking for support from behind, unfortunately there was clear air behind me and in front. A lonely lap followed with Frank and then Howie going past looking srong, I tried to join them but had a chain problem ( I couln't make it go round fast enough).

I picked up a group of three, including the two ERC ladies and we made good progress until being joined by another 4 riders, mainly ERC. It is better with company on any day but particularly in that raw east Lothian wind.

The last lap was good with a steadyincrease in speed and a sprint in the last 400m, I thought I had it (for 55th admittedly) but Oliver brookes just glided past in the last few metres. Ok it was not Milan San Remo but it was great fun. Hello, beer !!

Lessons: need to go faster

stay out of wind

do not get dropped, it is no fun

Duncan Oh ya dancer !

An interesting experience. Like Duncan and Howie, I found myself at the back of the group of riders at the start of the race, despite my best efforts to get to the front :shock:. I still don't know how that happened.

When the race started proper I had made up quite a bit of ground but was completely unnerved by some erractic riding by my fellow competitors who seemed to think nothing of cutting across my front wheel to grab a space which didn't exist :-?. As we approached the turn into the fierce headwind, I decided not to take any chances but suddenly the whole field seemed to pass me and I was at the back again, just as the front bunch kicked hard. Race over for me and I hadn't even completed half a lap!

I decided that 80th place was too embarassing (even for me :oops: ), so I set about trying to catch as many riders as I could. I spent a lap and a half doing this before I caught a group of about 6 which included wee Jocky Johnstone. These guys seemed to be setting a good pace so I tucked in and reeped the benefit of sharing the work. The wind was really sapping my strength but wee Jocky kept us working together. I don't remember passing either Duncan or Howie and it was only when Alan tapped my shoulder that I realised he had been picked up by the group. The last half lap saw a marked upturn in pace and as we approached the line wee Jocky timed his run to perfection and swept past effortlessly.

A great event, well organised with a superb route.

Frank