Volunteers required

Kenny MacDonald

• Members

Note below received from Sarah Fettes who is looking for volunteers to help coach youngsters. If interested in taking up her offer of free level 2 coaching course send me a pm asap, and we will send further details and arrange a date for briefing meeting

Active Schools and Scottish Cycling wish to

>Introduce young people to cycle sport through

>the GO-RIDE Programme.(see british cycling

>website to read more re this programme)

>

>5 schools will receive 4 taster sessions (3pm -

>4pm on a weekday for a period of 4 weeks

>provisionally starting 17th September - 12th

>October) After this point all youg people are

>signposted to a community club for a weekend

>session provisionally 1.30pm - 3.30pm in a local

>suitable venue. Time of session is dependant on

>volunteer discussion re suitable time.

To sign up interested volunteers/coaches

>within the club that will deliver the club

>session for young people and arrange a

>rotational pattern for the volunteers so that a

>volunteer does not have to do it every weekend

To highlight volunteers that do not have a

coaching qualification and address this issue by

registering all volunteers on the Level 2

coaching course prior to Christmas. Payment is

3 days at £295 - The subsidisation of this by

>Scottish Cycling will be discussed at the

>meeting by the Coach Education and development

>Manager. For the 2-3month period where we may

>not have qualified coaches, the regional

>development Manager will deliver the sessions

>and volunteers can assist to gain further

>experience and familiarise themselves with the young people.

Kenny

You may not be able to answer this but is there any mention of how this fits in with the Glasgow Riderz youth cycling club which, as you know, has been going for a few years and is absolutely crying out for volunteers! Is this a new venture altogether or are we (Riderz) going to benefit from this? Maybe SC can answer this one?

Last Saturday we had nineteen kids and only two trainee coaches.

For anyone interested in helping out, Glasgow Riderz meets at 10am to 12 noon on Saturday mornings at Bellahouston Sports Centre at the bowling pavilion. Kids of all ages and abilities catered for.

Mick

• Members

Mick

the clubs policy at present is to send all our youth riders to Bellahouston.

Sarah is attending comm. meeting next week to put proposals to club.Untill then I cannot comment any further. I dont expect a flood of volunteers for this in anycase , but posted it to let people know what is proposed by SC and Renfrewshire leisure.

Hi all,

This initiative "to increase the number of youngsters participating in cycle sport" would be a partnership between Scottish Cycling,Active Schools Renfrewshire and local cycle clubs.

To clarify Kenny's comment re 'free level 2 coaching qualification' I stated that subsidisation by scottish cycling was a possibility that would be discussed at the meeting. Please be fully aware that subsidisation is up for discussion and is not confirmed. In addition to this, as Sport Development Officer for Renfrewshire Leisure with an interest in cycling, I am arranging this meeting on behalf of Renfrewshire Council Active Schools and Scottish Cycling and they will in turn put forward their plans and overview of the initiative. This is not a proposal by myself or Renfrewshire Leisure.

Local clubs include Glasgow Riderz as we know it is a registered youth cycling club based at Bellahouston Park, Johnstone Wheelers and Rock Hard Mtb club Paisley.

Initally young people could feed into Glasgow Riderz at Bellahouston, however, through utilising a more local venue, this may be the starting point of increasing numbers and indeed more than one venue could be used to further promote youth cycling. All of which can be discussed at the meeting.

Renfrewshire Leisure are keen to further discuss community cycling that includes female only rides (leaving from one of our facilities) and adult community cycles with the possiblity of doing bike workshops/maintenance along with this. For this we require Level 1 coaches. These coaches must then be disclosured with ourselves and the necessary organisation and marketing will follow.

Can I request that all interested parties make every effort to attend the meeting.

Kind Regards

Sarah :grin:

Thursday 6 September will be a busy night at the club.

At 7pm Sarah will be present to discuss the coaching initiative with any club member interested in getting involved in this activity.

Following that the club committee meeting will be held - these are open to all club members to attend so again feel free to come along and participate.

Club clothing will be available and whilst there are stocks of bib-shorts, short and long sleeve tops and training jackets these are mostly medium / large sizes.

See you there :grin:

Hi all,

Just wanted to post a thank you to all the individuals that came along with an interest in volunteering and helping promote youth cycling at the meeting on Thursday night.

It is a rare situation to be in where you have two managers from the Governing Body, two Active Schoools Managers from Renfrewshire Council and 12 volunteers sat round the table - most impressive turn out I have seen to a sports club meeting!

Thank you to those that attended and an even bigger thank you to those that attended and put their names down to support the proposed new Saturday club as volunteers in an assisting capacity to the coach. I mailed out letters with disclosures to those that registered their interest. Please do not hesitate in contacting me if any others would like to assist on a Saturday afternoon and I will post the relevant forms out to you. This club starts on 27th October.

As discussed at the meeting, funding will need to be sourced, therefore I suggest a stand alone meeting once funding streams have been sourced and we can move forward with an action plan. The desired end result being qualified coaches at level 2 with first aid to deliver community cycle and youth cycle opportunities.

Thanks again

Kind Regards

Sarah