route to edinburgh?

duncan thomson

• 2023 Subscriptions

I am looking for advice on a cycling friendly route to edinburgh avoiding the busiest roads. First thought is to go far north or south. Looking at gmaps, I came up with east kilbride , hamilton, carluke then straight through to juniper green.

anyone any ideas

thanks

duncan

There is an official national cycle route which is partly used by the Glasgow Edinburgh...

Follow the old A8 along Alexandra Parade, Edinburgh Road, Past Carntyne, Cranhill, Barlanark, Swinton, Ballieston and at the big junction bear left at the newish housing estate onto the A89 (I think) continue through Airdrie, past Monklands Hospital (now rising up a long drag) go through Plains and continue along this road to the top. (there is an alternative off road path parallel to this but the road is fine..the pathe runs alongside some waterways) .have an excellent long descent past Broxburn etc stay on this road until you hit the Newhouse Roundabout take 2nd exit probably onto the a8 for going straihght into Edinburgh.. theres a path at the side but its fast and ok due to speed cameras....

the pedal for scotland route is longer and diverts a bit to the North after the highpoint

Hi there,

A few of us ride to Edinburgh every year with panniers from Glasgow.

We always use the Bike path departing Maryhill - follow this route and it will take you by the Falkirk wheel then direct into the City centre.

Ive done this a few times and will be doing it again soon.

Great track but only problem is you have to stop a few times to pass gates.

Good scenery though Oh ya dancer !

Good Luck.

Stevie

• 2023 Subscriptions

Alan McLean and I took a mix of suggested routes taken with first puncture before erskine bridge not a good start. Trailled round bearsden/ milngavie, out to kirkintilloch, past torrance, mollinsburn, slamannan, avonbridge, torphichen, bathgate, livingstone, (another puncture) and then finally edinburgh. Still gmap reckoned on 72 miles- it felt it.

Glad I don't live in some of the places we went through and appreciate the cycling options around us even more.

duncan