Advice Required

KennyS

Looking for some technical advice

When shifting down on the front my chain is occasionally getting trapped between the two chainrings.

Wouldn't have thought this is a compatibility issue as I am using a 9 speed Ultegra chainset (53/39), with 9 speed Ultegra front mech, 9 sepped Dura-Ace bar end shifters and a 9 speed 105 chain.

Apart from the obvious solution of not changing down (thanks Kat :-P ) anyone got any ideas on how to overcome this

Kenny

Easily fixed Kenny.

The chances are that your front mech could be sitting a little bit high? Instead of coming into contact directly with your chain at the chainwheel and shifting it swiftly across, you're hitting the chain further back, so have less control over it's movement.

Move the front mech until the outer cage is directly over your outer chainring, and then adjust until there is a 2 or 3mm gap between them. Tighten the front mech fixing bolts remembering to keep the outer cage parallel with the ring and then adjust your screws and cables.

Limit the cage so that it is comfortable when in your smallest cog, but not clashing with the crank. Similarly when on the inner ring, the biggest cog should be able to be used without any chain rub.

Was your Ultegra chainset originally part of an 8spd groupset?

A 7/8spd chain is slightly wider than a 9spd chain so the chainrings would be slightly further apart.

Had this problem myself - when I converted to 9spd but tried to keep my old Stronglight touring chainset (which was originally purchased in the mid-90s when 7spd was king). Solution for me was to get a new chainset as the "chain slipping between rings" thing just got too annoying. Although maybe you could just get new chainring bolts instead to adjust the pitch - I never thought of that at the time