Don Smith Memorial 2006

Guest fatblokeonbike

Guest fatblokeonbike

Don't miss out by not being up-to-date!

The times and routes of the 2006 Don Smith Memorial Ride are already being planned.

To put yourself on the list of riders wishing to be notified of all the details, as they get finalised, use the short form at -

http://www.johnstone-wheelers.co.uk/don ... morial.php

and Johnstone Wheelers will do all the work for you.

• 2 months later...

Does the 70 mile route have to be "quick" or will there be a "moderate" group doing the 70 miles. I have finaly realised I'm not twenty one any longer and this year am aiming for a few of the longer distance sportives, so I don't want to travel up just to do 50 miles, but I don't want to be with the the young raceheads.

• 2023 Subscriptions
Does the 70 mile route have to be "quick" or will there be a "moderate" group doing the 70 miles. I have finaly realised I'm not twenty one any longer and this year am aiming for a few of the longer distance sportives, so I don't want to travel up just to do 50 miles, but I don't want to be with the the young raceheads.

Hi Dave

the 70 mile run is called 'quick' because that's seems to be how it's always been described (at least for the last 4 Don Smiths that I've seen).

However you'll be able to choose the bunch you ride in on the day, so assuming that there are other like minded individuals riding then there could easily be a moderate 70 mile gruppo.

On the other hand, the 50 mile ride is actually 60 miles this year, as we discovered when we measured it :shock: so I guess you've got a couple of choices.

cheers

martin

• 2023 Subscriptions

89 riders registered, and growing daily. Just look at this list of where they're coming from:

Ayrodynamic / bicycleworks.com / Chryston Wheelers / Chryston Wheelers / CRT Inverclyde / ctc / Dundee Thistle / Dundee Wheelers / Dunfermline Cycling Club / Edinburgh Racers / Edinburgh RC-The Bicycle Works / EK Road Club / Evans RT / Fullarton Wheelers / Glasgow Couriers / Glasgow Nightingale / glasgow road club / Glasgow United / Glasgow Wheelers / Glenmarnock Wheelers / Ivy c.c. / JWCC / killie boys.sat morning ride / Kirkcaldy & District C.C. / Law Wheelers / musselburgh rcc / North Beach Hotel -Dooleys Cycles / Onimpext RT Bioracer / Pedal Power RT / Rockhard Mountain Bike Club / Royal Albert

Sandy Wallace Cycles / St Christopers CC / stirling tri / V.C. Astar

But... so far we've only got 7 Johnstone signed up :smash We're in serious danger of being outnumbered on the 5th! :smash

let's be seein' see you! :smash

Guest fatblokeonbike
Today's Cycling Weekly (p59) has the start as Erskine Sports Centre...is this correct?

ss

Where've you been, babe?

http://www.johnstone-wheelers.co.uk/post.php

Where and When?

Sunday 5th March 2006,

Erskine Sports Centre,

Bridgewater Centre,

Erskine,

Scotland PA8 7AA

Event registration from 08:30 on the day.

Early registration will ensure your place. Complete the short entry form below.

Route maps will be available on the day.

Full use of sports centre facilities: changing rooms, lockers, showers.

On-site car parking.

Food and drinks available at the sports centre following the rides.

On the day, the Ride HQ can be contacted on cellphone 07887 596 638

• 2023 Subscriptions
Today's Cycling Weekly (p59) has the start as Erskine Sports Centre...is this correct?

ss

Simon

You mean you registered but you ddin't read the form? the start is as you say:

Erskine Sports Centre,

Bridgewater Centre,

Erskine,

Scotland PA8 7AA

What else did it say in the comic?

Guest fatblokeonbike

Mind you, Martin, the bloke has other problems; as his registration said -

"I am intending to have a full set of working gears this year!!! Please wait at the top of the Haylie."

Not to worry, Simon, you're going *down* the Haylie.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Just a quick note to thank all those who took part and supported this year's Don Smith run.

First and foremost thanks to the 200 riders from all over the country who took part in the event.

Together we raised £1650 to be split 50:50 between our two charities, the Braveheart Cycling Fund and the Accord Hospice. Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

The event could not have happened without the support of a great many people. Sorry if this sounds like an Oscar speech, and apologies if I’ve missed anyone out but let me embarrass these people by thanking them:

'Waving off' by Dot Smith
    Bunch leaders Alex McPhee, Simon Simpson, Robert Sharp, Allan from Kilmacolm (new JWCC rider), Brian Smith, Donald Scally, Steven Hickey, Dave McKellar and the rest
    Joyce McKellar at Renfrewshire Leisure and the Erskine Leisure Centre staff
    Brian Smith and Allan Millar at Braveheart for their experience and input
    Ian Dooley for bringing his bike shop
    First Aid support from Aileen and Kenny at St Andrews Ambulance service
    Support vehicle drivers Ian Manson, Kenny Steele and Alan Yeoman
    Executive Route consultancy by Kenny MacDonald
    Police liaison by Jim Brogan
    JWCC website & online registration by Iain Laing
    Design and printing of the Don Smith materials by Chung Wong and Kenny Steele

and critically... catering by Sharon Flindall, Kirstie Stephen, Lynne Brady and young Josh

Clappers Clappers Many thanks to all. Clappers Clappers

Look forward to seeing you again next year - let's go for 300 riders!

Martin Mulholland