Cycling the A82

ginty001

• 2023 Subscriptions

Got an overnight groupon deal up in Glencoe at the end of the month, and my mate and I were thinking of riding up while the wummin take the car...was planning on missing out on the Lochside bit of the A82, jumping on a train to maybe Crainlarich or Tyndrum and riding up from there. Anyone got any experience of this road, and advice as to whether its just too busy with trucks and stuff to be fun ?

Cheers

Ian

Ginty,

The A82 is probably no more or less busy than what you'll ride around here - no different to A75 over the Rest, IMO. Usual nutter or 2 to be contended with as always, but most stretches are fine. Fast bits, (car wise) will be across Rannoch Moor - long straights but good visibility. Will be exposed if it's at all windy on the Moor. Only other section you'd might want to switch on for would be the stretch that runs at the foot of the Aonach Eagach Ridge just past the Buachaille. Narrow and twisty with anyone stuck behind a caravan or bike getting impatient.......what's new.

As Al suggests early start would be sensible and draft the odd tourist bus if you can. Pity you weren't doing it this week as the weather and views would have been the dog's. Lochside after Tarbet - I just wouldn't bother. Clocks will have changed by the 30th surely. Mind your muddies!!!!

Enjoy.

M

Cycled these roads many time in the dark & daylight. Have never found them any worse than round hear. Don’t worry about cycling on these roads in the dark there safer as the cars are more wary of you and there are less of them. When you going?

Campbell

have nice ride.