Wanted Garmin, but which one?

Hi,

I have discovered the fun of Strava and my son and I want to have a bash at breaking some records, lol. I have an iPhone 4 on which I have both Strava and Run Keeper. This is not ideal for recording times since it needs to stay in a back pocket (a handlebar bracket is not practical in this climate). i.e. you waste time at the start and at the finish pressing buttons while stationary. So I am thinking of a Garmin which will accept HRM, has longer battery life, etc. I am sure there are other advantages of a Garmin.

Does anyone have one for sale, or recommend which one to go for?

Thanks,

James

Guest George

I have a 510.

To be honest I don't use half the functions on it so unless you intend embarking on some very specific intensive training I'd go for something cheaper.

N.B. I'm not the only person to notice it's often difficult to read the data due to glare, even in overcast conditions.

You can buy an anti glare cover for a fiver off e-bay tho.

Guest Kennyb

One thing to note - the Strava App will take into account stationary time, so you will not lose any time at Start/Finish of timed segments. Most segments you will start and afinish as part of a longer ride and no intervention is required if you just press "Start" when you leave the house and "Finish" when you get home.

Saying that, a Garmin is the way to go. Saves the phone battery. I have the basic 200 - very impressed so far.

The Bryton Rider 20 provides perfectly good tracking for strava if Adam's first outing with it is anything to go by. Unlike the Garmin 200 which is around the same price, the Bryton offers ANT+ which allows you to connect speed/cadence sensors and a heart rate monitor. It doesn't provide the breadcrumb trail offered by the Garmin, but it doesn't sound as though you need this. You can pick up a Bryton 20 with a HRM for just under £70 on Merlin Cycles right now and pick up an ANT+ speed/cadence sensor for £17 at Decathlon if you want this. Battery life is reckoned to be a minimum of 18 hours so would even see you through a 200k audax :-)

i have the 500, does everything you might need and loads more. this is where i got mine and the cheapest one i found. also has the premium soft heart rate monitor which is comfier than the standard one and fits everyone. http://www.simplyrun.co.uk/products/simplyrun/feb13128-garmin-edge-500-bundle-(inc-premium-hrm-and-cadence)-(010-00829-13).html