Assistance for Renfrewshire Council Sports Development Team.

Stephen Hickey

Dear all

Joyce McKellar, Cultural and Community Services Manager for Renfrewshire Council, addressed a recent Friday evening clubrooms meeting with a proposal which could benefit the club and it's members. Renfrewshire Council Sports Development Team are planning to introduce an initiative aimed at getting women back into sport and would like cycling to feature in this. The model is based on the jogging networks that arose from the extremely successful woman's 10K race held annually in Glasgow. The idea would be to have a group going out on a weekday evening, initially on the cycle tracks, with a view to increasing distance with time and perhaps onto open roads. Ideally an event that the group could aim for would be identified as a goal. Those taking part would register in advance to ensure that the correct number would turn up (hopefully even in poor weather). The first age group to be targeted would be the 17 - 24 year olds.

Joyce has asked if the club would consider supporting this initiative. For each group going out (perhaps up to 20 cyclists) there would need to be at least two "coaches". To qualify as a coach it would be necessary to:

1. Know the area

2. Have a first aid certificate

3. Have completed a coaching course in cycling.

Kenny Mac has agreed to liase with those that run courses in cycle coaching and try and arrange them at a time that would suit those interested. The courses run over 2 days usually held at weekends but it would probably be possible to run them over a few weekday evenings if that is what suits most. I will need to find out what is involved in getting a first aid certificate for this sort of thing, and will post details.

Joyce hopes to start this initiative in mid to late May, which means a relatively tight schedule. The club would clearly benefit from raising our profile with Renfrewshire Council Sports Development Team (which may be of considerable help with future grant applications etc) and may also lead to increased club numbers if any of those taking part wish to take the sport further.

As is often the case we need to know if there are interested parties out there who would be willing to give up some time to complete the training course and accompany the riders. If there seem to be enough volunteers then we can firm up details of when and where the coaching courses would be run (most likely in the club rooms), and whether it would be possible to tie in a first aid course with them.

Could all interested parties please make themselves known in this listing? Also if you require any further info or have comments please put them here.

Thanks.

Stephen Hickey

Development

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For all your computer needs, spares & repairs - PC Express, Love Street, Paisley   0141-561-0323

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stephen ,

I would like to forward myself to help out.

I live in johnstone know the area very well as most of my training is done about this area.

Sparetime is something i have now as my working hours have changed and if its the bike then im your man.

Put me forward unless others say different.

A few hours helping out others to get involved in the sport cant be ignored.

If it doesnt conflict with my training or racing then i can at least help out ?

Stevie B.

For all your computer needs, spares & repairs - PC Express, Love Street, Paisley   0141-561-0323