Sat 3rd November

Guest EPCC

thinking about tagging along got a road bike and even sorted out some clipless pedals and overshoes today so ready for most weather

might not be able to make it this week after all i forgot its the paisley fireworks event which is generally all day thing and i'm doing photography for paisley.org.uk

• Members

I was at Miller Street for nine, but it was only me and Ianjmcd who were there. No-one had showed up by five-past so I headed off to do my own thing. (And got soaked.) Did you go out, George/Billy?

Hope you have more luck if you decide to try again tomorrow, Ian.

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

Richard, we did indeed go out but met at kilpatrick road. We arranged to do this by text last night.

Didn't go to clubrooms as no-one had posted, apart from Ian, who had since said he was unlikely to be there (see post above)

As it happened, it was a bit of wash out, we headed along the track which was a mush of slimey leaves, slush & ice.

We got to the outskirts of Lochwinnoch to be greeted by slush all over the road.

We decided to go for discretion over valour and swung into the cafe for two cups of coffee and home via main road.

No point risking an off.

In hindsight we should just have headed for the coast.

Wont be out tomorrow as have a christening-just be careful on the track folks.

• Members

No worries, George. I was just wondering what had happened. I should have texted one of you before I left the house but I was in a bit of a daze and didn't get round to it. (In fact, when the alarm went off this morning, I started getting ready for work. It was a good couple of minutes before I realised what day it was.) :-?

I was out for three hours or so, without ever straying too far from civilization. I think you probably made the right call, turning back at Lochwinnoch. I saw one chap wipe out on leaves on the track having grabbed too much rear brake to avoid a dog. The back roads around Kilmalcolm were covered in slush and it was easily cold enough for ice in sheltered spots. Just like George said, folks - be very careful if you're out early tomorrow morning.

• Members

No sweat, Billy. See you on Wednesday. ;-)

George, not only did I replace the tyres, I changed the rim tape on the rear wheel yet again and I swapped out the front wheel for an old one from the attic. I felt awful about slowing you all down last week - you especially, given that it was a repeat performance of that Thursday run with Billy and Mark. I still have no idea what the problem was. I'd been out on that bike the previous weekend - 55 miles with Kenny on the Saturday; 80-odd on Chung's Sunday run and then out to pick up a skinsuit from Billy afterwards without a single puncture en route. It's a mystery.

Andy, I doubt I'll be out tomorrow. These early, cold starts don't agree with me any more. I'll probably have a long lie and work myself over on the turbo in the afternoon. I have a pile of tubes here for you, Mark and Alan. If any of you are desperate for the tubes, let me know and I'll sort something out. Have a good run.

• 2023 Subscriptions

No sweat, Billy. See you on Wednesday. ;-)

George, not only did I replace the tyres, I changed the rim tape on the rear wheel yet again and I swapped out the front wheel for an old one from the attic. I felt awful about slowing you all down last week - you especially, given that it was a repeat performance of that Thursday run with Billy and Mark. I still have no idea what the problem was. I'd been out on that bike the previous weekend - 55 miles with Kenny on the Saturday; 80-odd on Chung's Sunday run and then out to pick up a skinsuit from Billy afterwards without a single puncture en route. It's a mystery.

Andy, I doubt I'll be out tomorrow. These early, cold starts don't agree with me any more. I'll probably have a long lie and work myself over on the turbo in the afternoon. I have a pile of tubes here for you, Mark and Alan. If any of you are desperate for the tubes, let me know and I'll sort something out. Have a good run.

Hi Richard

That's a shame. No worries re tubes. Enjoy your long lie and turbo torture. Thanks for tips on 30/30s

Andy