Tech Advice

Guest EPCC

Due to always managing to get my back track wheel jumping loose can you replace wheel axles and is it difficult.

The wheel is held on by two separate alan key nuts that just won't stay tight ideally the solution would be new wheels but I am skint so that will have to wait

Thoughts and solutions required

Wheels are not my strong point so don't know going to take it into work and find some time or some place to strip it

Would imagine it would be cheap hubs and bearings think they are ambrosia wheels

• Members

No worries. I think you should be able to install new, solid axles irrespective of what setup you've got. If it's cup and cone bearings, the only snag I can envisage is that you'd need to make sure the threading on the new axle matched the threading on the cones. If it's sealed bearings (and the Ambrosio track hubs I see online do have sealed bearings) then I suspect it's more straightforward because there's no hassle adjusting the bearings once you've installed the solid axle.

This is all thinking out loud, though. I'd ask a professional mechanic about a job like this (I suspect you can guess who!) If there are any other issues, they'll let you know before you spend money, and if you leave it to them to do the overhaul, then you won't ruin your hub and sealed bearings trying to knock the axle out with a hammer! Wouldn't have thought it'd be an expensive job - certainly not compared to the cost of new wheels.