Promoting A Road Race

Guest EPCC

[

Paul Kenny

Thinking about doing a road race using barmill looking for pointers and costs could you pm me some pointers would be 4 cat 70& and the rest 3 weighted towards our own riders

Also how many people do we need

• 2023 Subscriptions

Billy

TLI always seemed easier to me as you don't need to have a commissaire and I believe (but don't know) it is a lot less beauracratic. It is substantially cheaper for day licence riders. You can more or less make up the field as you wish - eg only 4th cat over 48.1/2 years old! I've always just went for 1st come 1st serve. Heres the nitty gritty,

Mandatory items ( I can help you with all of these)

- fill in form to TLI Secretary to say you are running race

- write letter to police to inform them (they can object but only if they have grounds) - state up to 80 riders

- receive standard letter from police which advises you not to do it

- risk assessment for course

- signage and flag etc

- 4 marshalls, one on each left hand turn

- minimum one car (lead car)

- first aider on call in vicinity of race

- finish line judges or photo finish (in the early days I literally observed what happened and asked all the guys where they finished and placed about the first 20)

Costs

Hall = £50

Levies to TLI = £4 per rider non member, zero for members. So when I charge £10 for non member and £6 for member I have £6/head to cover costs and give out prize money.

Food = about £30 in Tesco

Cars = I give the drivers who drive round the 60 miles £20 / car

Don't know what 1st aid would cost as I've always been lucky enough to get it freeby (on Saturday we had Barry Crumlish who was driving brought his first aid stuff and he was the official cover, Kenny Steele in lead car was additional cover)

£10 for other misc expenses

65 signed on Saturday which gave 65 x 6 = £390 to cover cost and prizes.

Costs above were £150 which would normally leave £240 for prizes or you can give some to club or charity if you wish.

I had some additional donations last week so spent £50 on trophy and £100 on photo finish service and actually gave out about £300 for 12 prizes, 1st 6 under 40 and 1st 6 over 40. Even if you take off the £100 for photo finish you would have £140 for prizes (as long as 65 sign on and pay).

Hope that helps - after this year the only thing I would change is to ask people to send payment by 1 week before or slot goes to someone else - I have been too flexible and had about 10 withdrawals the night before right up to about 11pm which annoys me because plenty other people would have used that slot if they had known.

Beyond that you just need a spreadsheet to keep track of who has entered, paid, submitted form etc. The actual admin on the day - well you already have a good idea as you have helped the past few years

Your welcome to come down one night or weekend if you want to run through forms, spreadsheets etc

PMcD

• 6 months later...

I'm the TLI Scottish secretary again; seems your'e not allowed to give it up unless you find someone else to take it on!

TLI membership is reduced for 2013, now just £10 for full membership, so you only need to do 3 events to save money against 3 day memberships. If riders are all members, TLI give £10 million third party insurance completely free to the promoter. Strange but true.

all the forms and info are on www.tlicycling.org.uk . The one thing Paul did not mention, you need to join TLI as an organiser, fill in the form on line and print and send to me. The cost for an organiser is free, I don't know how we do it.

Re finish line mayhem, I have heard that these new fangled tablet ipad thingies are the best, just video the finish with it and the screen is big enough to identify the riders.

Moniaive Wild Hills TLI APR will be last Sat in March.