PUNCTURE ADVICE FOR IDIOTS, PLEASE

Guest George

Hi,

I have been getting punctures left right & centre these past few weeks and the wife is

getting sick of fixing them.

It's not glass or grit causing them, it's the state of the roads, I keep nicking the edge of

potholes and ruts.

I'm riding gp4000, my last set went for almost 2 years without a puncture in fact I only replaced them as they were nearly as baldy as yours truly.

Is it anything to do with tyre pressure? are you more likely to get punctures of this sort

with with your tyres rock hard or a bit soft or am I just having a run of bad luck?

Cheers.

It's a bit of both as there is an increase in road debris also if you are running lower pressures you can get more pinch puncturs however bad luck and or knackerd types may be the issue also check wheel for sharps

Alan, I have cloth rim tape but think I might put more on as the eyelets are quite rough.

In saying that, the punctures seem to be on the outside of the tube as opposed to

the rim contact side.

I remember years ago you used to be able to get a tough plastic tape that you put between

tyre and tube. Anyone remember what this was called and if it is still available?

tuffy tape rings a bell but I could have imagined it.

George,

FWIW I use Michelin Krylion Carbon tyres through the worst of the weather. They have served me well, I think I got two winters with no flats. At the tail-end of last winter I got my first puncture (rear) for about two years. There were, upon inspection quite a few cuts to the surface on both tyres it has to be said. I got another (rear) puncture in September this year. So it seems that once the integrity of this particular tyre goes then its for the bin.

I have replaced both tyres like for like this winter and hope *crosses fingers* I don't get any more flats for a while yet.

The Michelin's are good though with good grip and rolling resistance. I have the front at 100 and the rear at 110 psi respectively.

All that said, sometimes its just your luck.

I remember years ago you used to be able to get a tough plastic tape that you put between

tyre and tube. Anyone remember what this was called and if it is still available?

A certain well-known bike shop chain sells plastic tyre liners under the "Slime" brand name. I have used them but would not really recommend them as they are very fiddly to fit. I haven't tried the "Slime" tyre sealant which is part of the same product line.

Slime liquid works very well, but I'm not sure if it can easily be put into a tyre with presta valves. I use'd it on my MTB when I had the old wheels with schrades valves. I had to remove the valve core to pour it into the tube so on a presta tube this is going to be tricky. The liquid is quite heavy and you can feel the wheel out of ballance when you move off if you are stopped at lights or a junction for a time, although this is worth putting up with on a commute or if out at night and want to avoid punctures.