dumfermline sportive 23rd oct

• 2023 Subscriptions

I'm sure the sight of a few Joansin jerseys would be a very welcome sight at this event, it's a fund raiser for equipment for Ali Campbell, whose family stayed in our very own clubrooms when Ali was is the Southern General after his accident...

I'm supposed to be going away for the weekend, so unlikely i can make it...

Ian...

Hello and welcome to SportiveDunfermline ....thanks for entering to one and all ,

and we as of now are at 165 entries and we think we have a futher 20 plus .. ..but we do need more .....we hope for 200 on the day to make the event have a chance of getting the tri-tandem for Aly .

.SO PLEASE ASK ALL YOUR FRIENDS TO JOIN US ....and make Alys life a lot better with all your help

Now for news on update 3 ....

As at update 2 we had some 52 towns , villages ,cities ..represented ..i think we can add a few more ..

Alford , Gordon , Seafield , Tayport , Ladybank, Coalsnaughton and Erskine so perhaps 59 now...welcome all

A particular welcome from me to Craig and Adrian who have been with me on Auld Alliance charity cycle ride to Paris ..joining Margy to make a threesome from AA ..i hope weather is as good as going on Paris trip .

Re clubs we were at 22

We now add Leith Wheelers, Deeside cycling club and Jwcc and a few more from Sandy wallace Cycles..so we are about 25 or so clubs ..

This new and exciting end of season sportive offers riders a choice of two testing routes. A longer route of 72 miles (116 km) and a shorter route of 50 miles (79 km) The longer of which crosses the Cleish, Ochil and Lomond Hills and features three of toughest climbs in the area.

Both the routes start at Dunfermline High School and head north out of Dunfermline taking quiet back roads out past Kingseat along Loch Fitty and into Kelty where the riders take left turn to begin their crossing of Cleish Hills.

The route takes you along past Knockhill to Hillend and spectacular views are enjoyed before turning back down a winding and climbing descent towards Cleish. Before Cleish you take a sharp left for a fast straight descent to a crossroads and the back road into Kinross.

In Kinross around the 40km mark there is feed station and shortly after at Milnathort the routes split. The shorter route takes a right turn and loops back along the eastern side of Loch Leven past Burleigh Castle offers a stiff but short climb up to Wester Balgedie before the riders pass through Kinnesswood and Scotlandwell continuing to the base of Loch Leven where the short route rejoins the longer route.

Meantime riders on the longer route are taken across the Ochils with a series of short testing climbs to Glenfarg before reaching the steep and very exhilarating descent down Wickes o'Baiglie. After Wickes the rider picks up the road to Newburgh but no sooner have joined this road do you take a right turn for Glenfoot and head up the very challenging climb upto and through the stunning Abernethy Glen. The climb is a little over 3.6km and will see you gain over 200m on a lung busting average gradient of 5.7%.

This leads to a fast sweeping and flowing descent which takes to you the mediaeval town of Falkland with its magnificent Palace and historic picture postcard buildings. The sense of being a time of previous era is quickly reinforced as you leave the town and start the climb over Falkland Hill which 3.97km to the summit and gives a height gain of 226m on an average gradient of 5.7%. At the summit there will be a second feeding station for those seeking further refreshments. After the climb there is the descent!

This is a fast descent that is sweeping at first and straightens out allowing the rider to reach maximum speeds with a clear view of what is approaching. At the base you start to head back rejoining the short route at the bottom of the Loch after another stiff climb after Auchmuirbridge. Once the routes have linked up the riders speed along the base of Loch Leven, past the RSPB nature reserve before turning left then right to start climbing out of Kinross-shire and back in to Fife via Cleish Hill which is 3.1km to the summit, sees a 148 metre height gain over an average gradient of 4.8%. From the top of Cleish the riders make their way back to the start point through of the most some attractive back roads Dunfermline has to offer.