Returning to cycling after 20 years!

Wyn

Hello all. Once, long ago in the distant past I was a member of this club. I quit cycling for a variety of reasons and one day last year I suddenly realised what a terrible state I'd gotten myself into. I couldn't see my feet over my belly, I got out of breath walking up a flight of stairs, and my breathing wasn't even too great when I was sitting down.

So I got a bike! And I got on it. And I fell off immediately because I'd forgotten how to balance! Hooray!

I've been cycling - very slowly - for about a year now so I think it's time to be brave and join a cycle club.

By the way, I was in the club when Paul MacD first joined and I see he's still here. I remember the first bunch run he turned up at with his unique thermal top (a parka) and thermal leggings (basketball socks pulled all the way up his legs). We had a laugh. And then we cried when he took a spell at the front. There were sore legs that day.

So, I shall try to meet the 30 milers at the clubrooms tomorrow (although I am terrible for sleeping in, so no promises) and we shall see what happens after that.

Wyn

Welcome along (back) Wyn. The 30 milers is as good a place as any to start you'll be made to feel more than welcome there. Excellent news about the reminiscing of yesteryears bunch runs. Dont suppose you kept a club jersey from those day's? Id be willing to offer you a kings ransom for it! :grin:

Hope to see you out on the road. 8-)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Would this be the same Wyn(dham) that once strung out the bunch over the dukes pass in a Grand Prix circa 20 years ago (with me glued to your rear hub :shock: some things never change)?

welcome back, lets cut to the quick - how much do I need to pay you to buy your silence about those days?

see you in the fast bunch soon

Oh ya dancer !

It is indeed myself. I remember that race. Someone - I can't remember who - asked me to go to the front for the climb and set a high pace to stop attacks. I remember protesting that I wasn't exactly built for climbing but whoever it was (it might have been Stevie Finnigan, but I really can't recall) were insistent.

So off up the hill I went in the big ring. It was the first of only 2 occasions where I led the bunch up a climb in a race. It took its toll when we hit the Top of the World. I blew just before the top and faded so badly that I lost 30 minutes on the bunch in the last 10 miles. I remember you reviving me at the finish with a bacon sandwich and you had to push me back to the changing rooms, even though you'd ridden the same event.

And then we rode a 3rd cat event at Sorn the next day! You were struggling at the start and I managed to get dropped in the neutralised section and then somehow we were in the leading group after the climb up to Sornhill.

We must have been mad.

Replying to Kenny Christie. I did have a club jersey from back then. I have since moved and I now have no idea where half my stuff is so I can't say if I still have it.

I do have 2 pairs of old club shorts, but not such demand for them I suspect. I have the black ones with the white side panel and also a pair of those bright blue ones. For about 2 years the club outfit was almost identical to the Brazilian football strip.