Message from Graeme Allan in Canada

Kenny MacDonald

• Members

Graeme Allan an ex JWCC who lives in Canada sent me a report of a recent trip to Cuba :-

The riding was great there and the traffic was relatively light. Half the cars are from the 50’s and the drivers are really courteous on the road. Only bother is the tourist buses but even they give you lots of room or at least a honk of the horn to let you know they are behind you. You can ride for hours with no traffic lights or reasons to stop. There are active clubs there, closest to Varadero is the Matanzas road club, I spent a couple of days with 4 of their riders, really decent guys who were starting their training for the Tour of Cuba, early next year. They are always looking for bits for the bike and clothing as they have very limited access to anything, although the guys I rode with had nicer bikes than me! Apparently it is the clubs who actually own them but I could not get that part very clear.

There seems to be a perception that it is really unsafe to be there, that is false has to be one of the safest places around and there is a large police presence both uniformed and plain clothes. I got more waves from people in trucks and cars than I can remember and they were friendly waves!!

There were no problems with customs, the airline flew the bike for free and it did not get damaged. Resort was great, brilliant selection of food, lots to do and the beach is one of the best in the Caribbean. It was exceptionally hot, in the 90’s every day so I got out on the road by 7:00am getting home though by 9:30 it was already very hot.

Graeme unfortunately hit the tarmac on this trip, but it seems a good place for cycling , anyone for CUBA for the pre season training camp?

bring me back some spiced rum ;-);-)