King's Park race report

Alan McLean

• Committee

Steely blue skies, snow dusting and a hard frost resulted in beautiful wintry conditions today in Glasgow.

The course was entirely on grass and all rideable. Some south facing slopes softened up towards the end to give a little mud but otherwise it was hard packed earth and snow.

The icymixture almost reached gear and brake jamming consistency and some of the Jets had frozen gears and chains in the early events.

Lots of Jets racing, which was great to see, but the events are so popular that there are now several hours from the youth's warm up to the Vets' and Seniors' races so some parents couldn't stay to race.

Only Mike "popped over from Paisley on my bike" F and I were in the Vets race. Where were you all?

Very hard work from the start.

Unlike Auchentoshan and Mugdock, which have hooligan wild sections interspersed with gentler recovery sections, this was all claggy, grippy, energy sapping ground. More like a 45 min TT.

I spent 90% of the time on the drops wishing I had gone Xmas shopping, and spent 85% of the time in gears 1 &2.

As usual I have no idea of final position (Ed: probably 25th).

Many thanks to the organisers for a great day.

Alan